Monday 17 December 2007

A conker?

I finished my little dressmaking project this morning. A couple of months ago the scouting group in our village held an Auction of Promises and I promised to make a child's fancy dress or dressing up outfit. The promise was bought by my friend Alison for her three year old daughter, Bea, as part of her Christmas present. Bea is a little girl who loves to dress up, especially if it involves fairies or princesses or anything pink and sparkly. Both Alison and I thought I was going to have a wonderful time creating some gorgeous feminine girly outfit - something I've never got to indulge in having four sons! So she asked Bea what she would like to dress up as if she could choose anything in the world. And Bea's answer...

A CONKER!

A week later it was still a conker, two weeks later it was still a conker and it would probably still be a conker had her daddy not told her she wouldn't look like a conker... but would look like a poo! It did the trick and Bea decided she would rather be a strawberry. So here it is... not quite a strawberry but a strawberry themed party dress.



And of course what every little strawberry needs... a matching bag. Where else would she keep her strawberry lipgloss?



I really enjoyed making this. Even the four hours last night stitching 48 individual sequins on by hand! I just hope Bea's not disappointed that it's not a conker!


This evening I'm back to the Chelmsford Embroiderer's Guild to give a talk, tomorrow I really must get some Christmas shopping done and on Wednesday it's back for our final Zigzag meeting of the year. Don't be surprised if you don't see much of me on here... although I do get withdrawal symptoms if I miss more than a couple of days so no doubt I'll be back!

8 comments:

  1. **LOL** Fantastic! Thank you for giving me a laugh in the middle of a busy day (shopping and soon dog walking if I don't collapse first!) I'm sure Bea will be delighted with her Strawberry dress and the delightful bag. (2 delights!) I think her Daddy was right to tell her a conker might look like something yucky (altho I'm sure if you'd made it it wouldn't have :)) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done to Bea's Dad for telling it like it is and enabling you to make that beautiful dress! It makes me wish I was little again so that I could be a strawberry too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dress and love the story even more!!!! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is going to look so sweet in her strawberry dress, much better than a load of you know what.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea for a Auction promise - I must remember to suggest that next time (though not for me to make) - I usually offer to facepaint at a birthday party for up to 10 kids...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the dress.Even with a daughter I never did get to make her any dresses - she was such a tomboy! One year for Christmas Hubs made Dear Daughter a dolls house and a garage for Dear Son....they swopped!

    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gina,Loved the dress.Even with a daughter I never did get to make her any dresses. She was always such a tomboy. One year, at Christmas, Hubs made Dear Daughter a dolls house and Dear Son a garage .... they swopped!
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's the most beautiful conker I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.