Back in February I completed this mask as part of a submission for an exhibition. It forms part of a pair of wall hung pieces of work. The work was accepted so I knew I had to make the second piece of work to make up the pair.
But I was really stuck on what imagery to use on the second mask. Everything I thought of seemed too cliched and obvious - graveyards, war images, hospitals etc - somehow none of them worked, despite endless mock ups and painted versions.
With the deadline looming I decided that I just had to get on with it, so I spent yesterday at my sewing machine and this is what I have come up with. I'm hoping it looks bleak enough to convey what I'm trying to express.
It's not just my students who have crises of confidence!
But I think it provides enough of a contrast with the original "happy" mask... which I'm now going to rework as the stitching is much better on the "gloomy" mask.
I will reveal the completed work nearer the time but should you want to make a note of the date in your diary... this is where you can see it complete.
unravelling the message
Prism at the Mall Galleries
27th - 31st May