Monday 30 December 2019

No Man’s Land

How was your Christmas? All good I hope.
Ours was merry and bright with various family members visiting and staying at different times all week culminating with twelve here for lunch on Friday, although by then I think everyone was a little tired. So a good time was had but then it was all over in the blink of an eye. I'm resisting taking down the Christmas decorations! I usually relish this quiet no man's land between Christmas and New Year as a time to potter about and recharge my batteries but I have felt a bit restless and low in mood. I'm not sure why, and it will pass as all things do. The answer has been to stay busy and partake in activities that are good for the soul...


I have started some new knitting - a lovely pair of fairisle mitts from Lucy Locketland. I don't need more mitts and I have another knitting project half finished but I couldn't resist starting something new! And these are very portable which my other project isn't... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.


I have been reading, both fiction and non fiction. I heard Dave Goulson speak earlier in the year and I'm thoroughly enjoying his book, whilst dreaming of turning my garden into a haven for wildlife. The painting book was a Christmas present which I hope will encourage me to keep painting into the new year... that's my resolution anyway.


The latest book from Barbara Kingsolver is every bit as good as I anticipated... I don't want to put it down but also don't want it to finish. I just love everything she writes.


We have also been blessed with some beautiful weather over the past couple of days - cold, crisp and sunny which is perfect for walking. If I'm honest I could take it even crisper as it is still muddy underfoot. We seem to be constantly be cleaning muddy paws!



I've also managed to do a bit of cutting back and clearing in my potential wildlife haven... although not too much clearing so not to disturb any hibernating creepy crawlies! Plus the blackbirds are rather fond of the berries.
 

And in doing so I have discovered absolutely dozens of little snowdrops emerging. One of the joys of owning a new garden is discovering all the hidden gems.


The previous owners seem to have had a thing about hellebores too as they are everywhere, not that I'm complaining. So pretty to have flowers at this time of year.
 

The biggest highlight of my Christmas week however has been being responsible for winding the church clock. Every morning I have climbed the narrow spiral staircase in the clocktower to wind up this amazing clockwork mechanism, something that has been done pretty much every day for the past 267 years. It's wonderful to think of all the different people who have done this before me and is definitely something to be counted in my 100 x 100 list!


So that has been my week and here we are about to enter a new year. We've no special plans to celebrate and for the first time since we met we are not going out or spending new year's eve with friends, which does feel a little odd. I guess we might crack open a bottle of fizz but there's a good chance we'll be fast asleep by midnight!

Whatever your plans... Happy New Year!

18 comments:

  1. Lovely mitts and book suggestions. Enjoy your new garden as you head to the new year. Have a good one. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to have got it right Gina - good company, good books, pleasant pastimes and lovely walks. Even a bit of gentle gardening. I do miss my snowdrops and hellebores but at least I can enjoy other people's. I hope 2020 will be another creative, productive and happy year for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a very good Christmas. Have added two of your books to my list and love your new job (though hope you have a deputy!). Very best wishes for a happy and healthy 2020 and I look forward to reading about your year here on your blog ('cos you ain't leaving!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Gina. Wonderful clock, what a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the ingredients for a wonderful Christmas. How wonderful to be a part of the clock winding history. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to think of all the people who have done it before me!

      Delete
  6. Happy new year Gina. Wishing you and your family all the best for this new decade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow -- how cool is that clock winding job -- what fun! You've had an amazing bucket list of accomplishments the last few years Gina! I'm like you -- feeling a bit in no man's land this year. I've resisted taking down the tree -- it's a lot of work to put up and take down and it was pretty this year -- I hate to see it go. Looking forward to another year of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh magic - from your clock tower to ours with (clock and) carillon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have two Dave Goulson books, A Sting in the Tail and A Buzz in the Meadow. I like his style of writing and his subject matter too, so it rather looks as if I shall be buying The Garden Jungle too! Glad you are keeping busy...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy new year Gina. Climbing the church tower to wind the clock sounds pretty amazing! What a privilege 😊

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.