Friday 20 December 2019

More Advent Windows

Before I disappear under piles of wrapping paper in a mince pie induced stupor, I thought you might like to see some more of the advent windows that have popped up in our village over the past week or so. I have managed to get out at 5 pm to the lighting up of most of them, despite some very wet and windy weather. Quite often the few hardy souls who venture out have been rewarded with some very welcome refreshments. Mulled wine, mulled cider and hot chocolate have all been sampled along with mince pies, Lebkuchen, stollen, cookies, flapjacks and panetonne... although not all at once I might add. I quite miss my 5pm treat on the nights I have not managed to get out! Anyway, the windows in the order that my photos loaded...


John and Lesley did a simple but very effective silhouette, lit beautifully with a star of fairy lights which hasn't photographed at all well. Taking photos in the dark has been quite a challenge. There is a touch of humour in this one with the Star Wars TIE fighter... did you spot it? It reminded me of my brother who aged about seven drew a lovely picture in his school book of Harold at the battle of Hastings removing the arrow from his eye, complete with a fleet of fighter jets whizzing overhead.


Tonight we were treated to this stunning tree from Peter and Christine. The warm mulled wine was very welcome as we stood in the freezing rain!


I didn't actually get to see the window above on lighting up night but isn't it beautiful with all the doves flying around. However I did get to see Jane and Alan's window below, which must have taken ages to put together. Although I have loved seeing every single one I think their rendition of a bookshop window is just perfect and probably my favourite. It is full of Christmas themed books that Jane has collected. Just peering in feels like entering another world. I think I would like to curl up in a corner with one or two of those books!


The stained glass effect angel was simple in design but very effective and quite poignant. Gilly made it in memory of her sister, with the angel wearing her sister's favourite colour dress. The sunshine was a reminder to keep sunshine in our lives despite difficult circumstances.


My photo doesn't really capture Anne and Peter's window very well but the beautiful traditional crib scene is made from a bamboo set that Anne collected when she lived in Hong Kong. But the piece de resistance is the coloured star which moves across the night sky in an arc down behind the stable, driven by Peter's childhood meccano set!


The window below is another feat of construction, again not really shown up in my photos but each of the little buildings is beautifully made from Lego.


This gorgeous snowy scene is just a few doors along from us so we didn't have to venture far but I think the children of the household had a part in making the snowflakes and pompoms etc. They were very excited by their lights being turned on and the people turning up to watch.


The window below is a beautiful parade of nutcrackers.


And Sarah and Colin's window is another fabulous stained glass effect, although Sarah did admit she had outsourced the work to her Mum!


I have missed a few and there are of course still four more to go. On Christmas eve the window will be unveiled at the chapel following a carol service so I expect we will wander along for that. From Monday through to Friday next week we have various family members turning up at different times culminating with twelve here for lunch on Friday, although Christmas day itself will be quiet with just the two of us and my Mum. 

So that's it from me for a while. The jury is still out as to whether I will continue to blog into the new year, as I've not been around much lately. We shall see... I won't disappear without saying farewell!
It really just remains for me to wish you all a very happy Christmas whatever you might be doing... I hope it's a good one!

10 comments:

  1. The Christmas windows are all wonderful, and so different from each other. You must live in a very talented neighbourhood. I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas and a Happy New year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so wonderful. What a beautiful tradition to have in your village. Hope you have a lovely Christmas with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those windows are amazing!!
    Happy Christmas Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The windows, and your blog, are a real treat. Have a lovely Christmas and a very happy new year. Hope to see you once panto craziness is done. T x

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're all stunning and what a fab village tradition (I'd never make it through the interview stage!). Wishing you and yours a very merry Christmas and hope to see you posting here in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all so lovely and festive a treat to see, thank you. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please don't go!
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just so lovely! Happy Christmas Gina x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas and a peaceful and creative New Year. I don't comment often but I'll miss you if you go

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you will still bob up as and when.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.