Sunday 12 August 2018

Seasonal Stitching

Well I'm back from a lovely weekend away at The Festival of Quilts. I enjoyed the challenge of teaching a couple of machine embroidery workshops in the space of just one hour which seemed to go down well despite some hiccups with threads on the first day...and one particularly rude lady who could do with brushing up on her manners but the less said about her the better. Thankfully most people are absolutely lovely. I met up with old friends and new, may have made a couple of small purchases of some beautiful fabrics and mostly felt overwhelmed by all of the quilts. I can admire the all the work and effort (some were absolutely spectacular) but they aren't really my thing. And there were so many of them! Best of all was spending a couple of days with my friend Gill... we are on the same wavelength as far as quilts... and people are concerned!

This week I have a day class teaching "Seasonal Hoops" - little free machined applique pictures representing the four seasons mounted in embroidery hoops. I designed and made the one with two little rabbits ages ago... during the spring in fact when I was inspired by all the blossom on the trees. It was used to advertise the class


But I never quite got around to designing the remaining three until last week.


But they are now all done and ready for my class.


So a few questions you can help me out with... do you have a favourite? Do you think they would make good cards?


Is it the sort of thing you would buy a pattern/tutorial for? And if so what sort of price would you be prepared to pay? Happy to hear your thoughts on these questions and anything else you might think...  well specific to these embroideries I mean... not that I'm not happy to hear your thoughts on other subjects of course... and saying that you would be willing to pay is of course in no way an obligation to buy anything from me at all... sorry, it's late and I'm wittering


But it's just that I'm pondering some different ideas which may or may not amount to something... and may or may not even be good ideas at all.
Thank you!

15 comments:

  1. I love all four - I can see your talent sparkling thru, and enjoy seeking out the icons of each season.
    We have a row of those beach huts at St James.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all beautiful Gina and represent their season so well ... but naturally my favourite is the bunny one, although that is a very cute fox. :) I think they would make excellent cards but as for money/prices I'm useless at these things, it's without doubt the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pricing is the part I always struggle with

      Delete
  3. They are all lovely and I think they would have a lot of appeal. As to price I'm afraid I'm no judge except to say don't under-sell yourself, things take time and effort to bring to the stage where others can take them away. Perhaps a good look on Etsy might give a guide. Janet Clare, whom I mentioned yesterday, sells her embroidery hoop patterns for £6.99, if that helps.
    Hope we can meet up again sometime, and enjoyed meeting Gill too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane... lots of good advice to think about. It was good to meet you at last.

      Delete
  4. Each one is delightful and they would make lovely cards, and I love your use of the patterned fabrics. I was never any good at pricing my own work so am ducking out of giving you any advice on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is always the trickiest part Heather.

      Delete
  5. Just love these, they are amazing. The last one will make a perfect Christmas card. Anesha :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the hoops Gina and if I were to buy any as cards it would be the snowman(christmas) and Rabbits (easter). As to price you could check what other artists charge. I would definitely pay for a pattern/tutorial. Perfect for a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim, that is really useful x

      Delete
  7. Beach hut for me Gina as I love the seaside. I have no idea about price for pattern but if it were me, I would price each pattern individually, and also offer the 4 in a set for slightly less than 4x individual price. Would it be a PDF download or a paper copy ? I would certainly but the patterns as I hate people who rip off stuff from seeing it on social media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catriona, this is really useful feedback. Definitely going to work on PDF downloadable patterns!

      Delete
  8. I love all 4. They would make really lovely greeting cards and I would buy them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.