Friday 10 August 2018

Food for Sharing

Since before the first wedding (and it will probably continue up until after the third one at the end of this month) we've had an almost constant stream of house guests as our various children have stayed for the occasional one off night to a few days here and there. James, Lizzie and Joe have all come back from extended travelling and have been between jobs and more permanent accommodation so have needed a base. Jacob pops back on a regular basis and will also be between flats for a little while next week. And then when Kirsty gets married we have Scottish family staying with us as well as at least four grown up children. So as you might imagine instead of quick meals for the two of us there has been extended catering and many leisurely meals eaten in the garden. It has been lovely to cook for lots of people again... it was one of the things I missed when they all left home. There have been lots of quiches and salads, pasta and fish... easy to make and easy to share food. James and Lizzie also cooked several meals for us which was a real treat.

There have been occasions when we have taken food out to share too and last weekend we went to campfire party. As the emphasis was very much on barbecued meat I felt that a veggie option would probably be welcome so made a batch of these courgette fritters. It was a bit of a risk never having made them before but they proved popular and they all got eaten. Either that or someone was slipping them to the dog!


There was a tin of cookies and cream Brownies too... essential campfire eating I think!


It was a brilliant evening with shared singing as well shared food that went on until the early hours. Fortunately the neighbours had all been invited too!


And then this week we had our book club supper club gathering for which I pretty much always make the dessert. It was a key lime pie but without the key limes. I'm not entirely sure what a key lime is but ordinary limes sufficed and it was all eaten up with relish! We may have discussed books at one point during the evening but I can't really remember!


And then yesterday the weather turned and it was cold and wet so I fancied something warming. We had a butternut squash tagine and I discovered the hotplate on which I make pancakes is perfect for making flat breads, also great sharing food. I'm not sure why that had never occurred to me before but I'll make them again before we sell the house and I no longer have a hot plate!


But although it has been lovely to have friends and family with whom to share food - one of life's greatest pleasures I always think - tomorrow I am off to Birmingham to the Festival of Quilts to teach a couple of workshops (Saturday is full but there are still a couple of spaces on Sunday) and I have a whole weekend with no cooking at all, which is equally nice. Variety being the spice of life and all that!
I hope your weekend is good whatever you might be doing.

20 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful time with family and friends. The food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awe the garden party looked wonderful and I'm quite sure no one slipped the dog those delicious looking fritters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cooking for an appreciative crowd is fun. I love the idea of a campfire party with singing and sharing food. Have fun at the Festival of Quilts. I would love to be there but it is a tad far unfortunately. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The campfire party was a fabulous idea. Especially as it was lovely and warm

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your weekend of teaching at the Quilt Festival, and I am not at all surprised your family and friends enjoy coming to yours for food. It always looks (and I am sure, tastes) wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather. It has been a good weekend x

      Delete
  5. Your life sounds very busy at present. Enjoy teaching at the Festival of Quilts-like Christina it’s a bit far for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't look much quieter in the next few weeks either!

      Delete
  6. It all looks so very tempting, I must say. Like you, I find it easier and much more enjoyable to cook for a group of people than just the two of us (especially as one of us isn't that appreciative!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I have an appreciative other half!

      Delete
  7. As ever lovely post Gina and as ever always interested to know what you have been cooking up! i still haven't got back to blogging (start of June I posted last) so well done you for keeping on going especially with the amazing Bed Breakfast & Dinner you seem to be running! Hope your quilting workshops are enjoyable and that you enjoy a break from mass catering for just a little while. Love Liz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz. I do miss your writing xx

      Delete
  8. Such delicious food , but it's that key lime pie, that I really have my eye on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good but I don't seem to be able to find the link to the recipe!

      Delete
  9. Your key lime pie looks amazing and the courgette fritters look interesting. I may have to try those. Sounds like a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. There now, I hope that the next time I am invited to a BBQ, you are there with your fritters - the thought of all that charred meat really puts me off going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be lovely... to see you I mean!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.