Friday 20 December 2013

Advent :: Day twenty

For me, the most favourite part of this time of year is the making and sharing of food, eating and enjoying it together. Providing a feast for family and friends is always a pleasure, especially if it involves baking. But sometimes after all the richness of chocolate, mince pies and gingerbread etc. I long for something light and refreshing... just like this warming fruit salad which I made for our book club party.
 
 
Blueberry and Orange Compote
 
125g golden granulated sugar
1 lime
approx 2-3cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled
Slug of orange liqueur (optional)
10 large oranges
450g blueberries
 
Place the sugar in a small pan with  enough water to cover it, bring to the boil and simmer until the sugar has dissolved. Add the juice of the lime and grate the ginger into the syrup. Add a generous glug of orange flavoured liqueur. Working over a bowl to catch the juices, and using a serrated knife, peel the oranges removing the white pith. Cut into slices, removing any pips. Place the oranges and blueberries in a bowl with the juice and pour the syrup over. Allow to stand for a few hours.
 
Perfect with a big chunk of gingerbread!

10 comments:

  1. Lovely! I do enjoy a fruit salad, when we go out for a meal I usually have the fruit for desert. That does look and sound delicious.
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely and can only taste delicious. As you say, a lovely change from all the rich delights we indulge in over Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound delicious and flavorful – a recipe to copy, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I have to make this. And a batch of gingerbread to go with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's not a mixture I've come across before Gina - sounds very refreshing - added to my recipe library thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just the look of oranges make my mouth water ... this sounds so delicious and something worth trying for a holiday dinner. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, I nearly missed out on this one, too busy to look last night, but it sounds delicious so will go into my recipe book. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks mouthwatering, I must admit after all the feasting I always look forward to something plain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds gorgeous and very refreshing - especially with the liquor in!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.