Friday 6 December 2013

Advent :: Day Six

I have never really used my blog as a political platform or as a place to comment on news or world affairs, yet the death of Nelson Mandela yesterday has prompted me to delay my scheduled advent post.
 
photograph: BBC
 
Of all the wonderful tributes that poured out last night I was struck by the words of President Obama who among other things described Nelson Mandela as a "profoundly good human being".
And I thought that in this advent season... the season of good will to all men...  wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all strive to be more profoundly good every day.
 
Nelson Mandela
18th July 1918 - 5th December 2013

11 comments:

  1. To put others before yourself as he did is something to admire. Let's hope there are more people like him still to come in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazing man, truly an inspiration.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was a remarkable man. There can't be many in the world who have gone from freedom fighter to national leader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An extraordinary man, full of love and grace. A true inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. an inspiration for all - thanks for this thoughtful post

    ReplyDelete
  6. High praise indeed for a great man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A light has definitely gone out in the world. I think you've captured the essence of it all perfectly Gina. Wise words, well said.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mandela was special, it was great that Obama didn't use his death as a political platform. I thought his words showed real insight.
    Annya

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well said Gina. I totally agree

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very special man and a great loss. I agree with your sentiment, well said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also was struck by President Obama's words. what a wonderful epitaph for a very great man.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.