Monday 9 December 2013

Advent :: Day nine

I've never been entirly convinced by homemade mincemeat in the past. I've tried many different recipes but quite honestly once it was surrounded by pastry I couldn't tell the difference between homemade or a good quality shop bought variety.
 
 
That is until I discovered this wonderful pear and ginger mincemeat with no added fat.

 
Which really is so good it could be eaten straight from the jar. It is a fragrant blend of fruit, nuts, sugar and spices with just the right amount of alcohol... and not a trace of suet in sight.

 
From the River Cottage Handbook No. 2 "Preserves" by Pam Corbin
 
Pear and Ginger Mincemeat
 
1 kg cooking apples, peeled, cored, chopped and cooked to a puree
Zest and juice of 2-3 oranges (you need 200ml juice)
500g ripe pears, peeled and finely chopped
100g currants
200g raisins
200g sultanas
100g crystallised stem ginger, finely chopped
100g orange marmalade
250g demerara sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 nutmeg, grated
50 ml ginger wine
100g chopped walnuts
50 ml brandy
 
Place all the prepared ingredients except the brandy into a large baking dish, give them a good stir and allow to stand for 12-24 hours. Preheat the oven to 130 deg C and bake the mincemeat, uncovered for 2 - 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in the brandy and then spoon into sterilised jars, making sure there are no air pockets. Seal and store in a cool dark place.

 
This makes the perfect addition to my almond paste mince pies!
Although I'm planning to add some to ice-cream this year. Watch this space.

13 comments:

  1. I have that book and her recipes are so reliable. I might even make my own again next year - too late for this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound good and uncomplicated, I do love simple recipes.
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuhuhum! We like it stuffed in a baked apple with a blob of marzipan to seal the top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, that sounds delicious - I like the comment about putting it in a baked apple with marzipan on the top too. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe Gina. This will be going in my folder to make next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds and looks lovely. Anything with stem ginger in it has to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh YUM! I've never made anything with mincemeat but every year I'm VERY tempted. I just keep running out of time. Yours looks fantastic -- thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much healthier and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has to be delicous with all those yummy ingredients, I've made my own for years with my Mum's recipe which I used to make with her since I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds fantastic. I've also copied the recipe for Almond mince pies = will they work if they get eaten quickly? Or does it need to mature?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The many, many years of making things from scratch are well behind me. I'll just re live it through you. Perhaps when the grandchildren start appearing I may take it up again. I do like the idea of no suet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm the same but that does sound good Gina. Have added it to my recipe folder. Thanks x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.