Sunday 2 May 2010

Dancing

Unlikely, but you may recall sometime at the end of 2009 I put out a request for newspaper clippings relating to dance and several of you generously obliged and sent various press cuttings my way. You may think I'd forgotten all about them.

But no, they were stashed away safely in a large envelope until I needed them. In fact they were so safely hidden that when I needed them I couldn't for the life of me remember where I'd put them. It's always daft to say something was in the last place you looked... because unless you carry on looking after you found it, then it is bound to be the last place. But these really were in the LAST place. I knew they were in my studio somewhere and I literally turned out every cupboard, drawer and tiny nook and cranny you could imagine. Eventually, after several days searching there was only one basket left... and yes there they were at the very bottom of said basket!

So now they have been assembled and applied to layers of silk organza to create backgrounds for some new pictures.



Dancers have been machine stitched onto cotton painted with gesso and inks ready to be applied to the backgrounds.

And they are now ready to step out for the following event in London next month. I'll put more details nearer the time as I'll be there stewarding on some of the days... maybe I'll see you there?

14 comments:

  1. The dancing pieces are so vibrant and Gina - how exciting to have pieces in that exhibition. I love the lady's shoe in the lower picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great. I love this. And the technique is very intriguing. As always your work is an inspiration....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that searching scenario so well......... :O)

    Love the silk organza printed with articles. This work looks really exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I feel a birthday trip to London coming on ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exciting work. Love the newspaper print. And those dancers are very special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a clever idea and so glad you found those cuttings - your dancers have real movement. I'm sure the exhibition will be a great success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you found them - I expect someone moved them without you knowing! look forward to seeing the dancers in all their glory at the Prism exhibition x

    ReplyDelete
  8. my ex-boss always used to say - look in the last place first.
    I hope I can get to the exhibition and see your dancers

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to come and see the exhibition Gina. I do remember you asking for the 'dancing' newspaper cuttings and I think it's going to be a very exciting piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool Gina. I always enjoy seeing your latest creative art!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking good, Gina, and glad to see that Prism continues, I can't go this year, I'm on holiday , so hope there will be some pics somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks so exciting - ooooo I love newsprint and stitch :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning and so interesting. Loving your textiles :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. They all look fabulous Gina! Shame you had to spend so long hunting for the newspapers though!!! Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.