Tuesday 31 July 2018

What Next?

So here I am, the disappointment of a less than successful Open Studio and a cancelled class now just a distant memory as I start to plan for what's next. In the immediate future that's an easy question to answer as next week I will be at The Festival of Quilts where I'm teaching a couple of Quick and Easy workshops... a machine embroidered nature inspired needle case in just an hour! Still a few places left on both Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th the last time I looked. And if you don't have tickets for the show yet you can get them from the website www.festivalofquilts.co.uk or by calling 0844 581 1289 and if you quote the code WT26 you can get a 15% discount.


Of course in order to get the needle case made and finished in the short time allocated I have to provide ready to go kits with designs already drawn out onto calico...


and all other materials provided and cut to size.


It took a lot longer than I thought it would, a lot longer... just saying!


And then I thought I should try a few samples of my new designs to see how they looked and how long they took for me to make. I discovered I can make one from a pre-prepared kit in about 30 minutes so I think that notwithstanding any disasters involving machine malfunction or operator errors we should get the projects finished, allowing time for some teaching etc... I hope!


After that I have a couple of one day classes in August but then things get a bit quiet and once again I'm left wondering about long term career prospects. I love what I do but unfortunately there is also a need to earn some money. This seems to be a cyclical thing that I need to go through every so often and as often happens I find I return to my other love, which is cooking. (It was that that led to me baking cakes for two years!)


I made a batch of pecan and cranberry granola (you can find the recipe in this post) along with an apricot and blackberry compote. The idea was to have some healthy breakfasts at the weekend but I ended up making pancakes too. They were good!


There were also some honeycomb brownies for a hen-do. I used a Nigella Lawson recipe for the brownies which is always my go to recipes when I make brownies as I know it works reliably with my oven. Instead of walnuts or other additions I added crushed Crunchie bars. I didn't make my own honeycomb... I'm not feeling quite that enthusiastic about cooking! They were also good!


And finally I took along some savoury puffs to another gathering of friends last night... ready rolled puff pastry (No, I didn't make my own pastry either), spread with goats cheese, wild garlic pesto (from the freezer - I did make my own, recipe here) and chopped sun dried tomato. Roll it up like a Swiss roll, cut it into slices and bake on a silicon mat on a baking sheet for 15 minutes at 220 deg C (200 fan)


I'm not sure I have quite got the cooking out of my system yet. For some reason I have a desire to make some Danish pastries so watch this space. But as for future career ideas I'm still not any further forward with ideas. Although the exciting news I hinted at last week does look like it's going to happen, so as soon as I have details and the go ahead I promise you'll hear it here first!

19 comments:

  1. You know what something will come your way Gina, you're a lady of many talents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear talent alone is not enough (although very kind of you to say) but a good deal of business savvy is also required. I do find promoting myself quite a trial!

      Delete
  2. The little needle cases look lovely - such great little kits. And gorgeous baking as always Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I can meet you next week! In various places, but I set up the stewarding rota for the SAQA exhibition gallery.
    Sandy Snowden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be nice Sandy, although I will be there with a friend and already I'm potentially meeting someone else. Look out for me!

      Delete
  4. Sorry I didn't make it to your Open Studio.I thought you were actually in Cambridge which would have been a lot easier.We did make one visit to a sculptor who lives at the end of Matt's road.Our closest friends are moving to your area.Their daughter lives in Royston and they currently have an offer in on a house in Whaddon .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaddon is a nice little village! Sorry not to have seen you last week.

      Delete
  5. Ooh, that all looks delicious, especially the savoury puffs, I shall give them a try. Fingers crossed for your exciting news, and I hope that your creative way forward becomes clear to you soon. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ... and I hope you enjoy the puffs!

      Delete
  6. I love every one of your needle case designs.
    They will go home with some very happy people!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those needlecase designs - what a lovely project for beginners to work on. Sorry hear the recent disappointments but keep looking forward, as you are doing. Intrigued about your secret news and those breakfast dishes and the cakes and pastries look delicious. Glad you used bought pastry - I don't feel so lazy now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather. I make my own shortcrust but draw the line at puff pastry! I've done it before but it does take a while.

      Delete
  8. Hi Gina, happy to meet you. Your kits look fabulous and so well put together. That had to have taken some time to get all of that prep work done. Your savory puffed rolls made my mouth water . . . so yummy :)
    This is my first visit to your charming blog and I'm hooked, LOL. I'm your newest follower.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Connie! It's always exciting to find new followers. I hope you'll come back x

      Delete
  9. Love those needle cases. Do you sell the kits/cases? Your edible makes also look very tempting. I've chucked Maltesers into brownies but never Crunchies so will have to give that a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sold the needlecases in the past and if there are kits left over after next weekend I will probably try to sell those too. I expect I will put it on the blog but feel free to email me if you are interested. I like the sound of Malteser brownies, although the Crunchies worked well!

      Delete
  10. It was good to see you at your Open Studio. You did a really nice job displaying all your work.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.