Friday 8 June 2018

In Other News...

 

Whilst moving house may be occupying most of our time and head space I  have been doing other stuff too. The wedding waistcoats are finished! Seven waistcoats, one for the groom and six for his groomsmen (although two of them are women) which involved forty buttonholes and forty self cover buttons. All I can say is never again!


But I am looking forward to seeing them all being worn at what will be our second of three weddings this summer. You would think that I would have had enough of dressmaking after all that but there was some fabric left over so I decided to make a top for myself.


It actually looks much better on than off and fits really well (Merchant & Mills Camber top) and as it only took about three hours I'm tempted to make another one in some different fabric. I wasn't sure whether the contrasting neck binding made it look like I had run out of fabric (I hadn't) but I think I quite like it.


I also made a rhubarb and orange Amaretti cake as a friend gave me loads of rhubarb from her allotment. It is so long since I've made a cake that I stared at the bowls and couldn't remember what to do first! There were also a couple of rhubarb crumbles for dessert and some rhubarb compote to go on our breakfast.


I have finished a couple more books. Every time I take a bag of books to our book exchange or charity shop I come back with another couple... so much for decluttering! I didn't really enjoy My Favourite Wife. It is about a young lawyer, Bill who moves with his wife and daughter to work in Shanghai. They move into Paradise Mansions which is full of 'second wives' in what can only be described as a concubine system. I didn't like Bill's character and thought the descriptions of life in Shanghai made it sound awful. I didn't find it funny or particularly sad, but just a bit pathetic.


I've really enjoyed Notes from an Exhibition however. It is not the first time I have read  it but couldn't remember anything much about it, which is a bit worrying given how good it is! I enjoyed the last Patrick Gale book I read so much, that I was keen to read this one again and I'm glad I did.


I've also been away for work for a couple of days. I gave a talk to the ladies of Worcester Embroiderer's Guild. This was while everyone was arriving and I was hiding in a corner behind my work! Well not really hiding... just trying to discretely eat a sandwich before we started!


The following day I taught a workshop and these were the eight fabulous landscapes finished during the day... such a lovely variety of work and a lovely group of ladies too, several of whom read my blog! So hello ladies... especially my no. 1 fan Sharron!


Back home I've been shopping today which was quite an achievement as I detest shopping. I needed shoes for the first of the weddings, something suitable for a Greek island, so I'm feeling rather pleased with myself that I've actually come home with something that I really like... and before I reached my boredom threshold too!


However I have reached my boredom threshold trying to write this post on my dying laptop so I'm quitting while I'm ahead. I hope you all have a great weekend!

27 comments:

  1. Do love your blog but sometimes I get a back ache after reading of your doings! I think the thought of getting to 80 next year is doing it, and I still have to reach 79. Maybe I won't get to 80 after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope that you get to eighty Penny!

      Delete
  2. Your posts are always so full of energy but sadly none of it rubs off! The waistcoats are works of art in themselves and I love the contrast neckband on your top. I am envious of those shoes as I have to wear Cosyfeet whatever the occasion! They are comfortable though.
    Hope the weather is kind for the wedding and trying not to think about rhubarb cakes and crumbles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather. If I am honest the shoes are not as comfortable as I might like but I do love them!

      Delete
  3. Oh well done on all of those waistcoats, beautifully done. Love the top as well, the contrasting neck band is perfection. The Greek Island shoes are lovely, how exciting to be off to a wedding there. Enjoy the weekend Gina. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Trying to get ready for someone viewing the house later so frantically tidying up! Not helped by the dog being sick on the kitchen floor!

      Delete
  4. Gosh what a cornucopia of lots of doing! Love the contrasting binding on your top by the way Gina. Good luck with the house viewings hope you have got that loaf of bread baking in the oven (ah yes that old trick!!) Much love and have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz. There wasn't time for bread making today... but windows are open and there's lots of fresh air! Fingers crossed! Xx

      Delete
  5. Love the waistcoats. Hope the house viewings go well. We're still trying to sort out the problems with nextdoor's potential buyers - not feeling very happy about them as potential neighbours. Can't wait to go away for a few days tomorrow - wish I could not take my phone as the emails and texts will follow wherever. How exciting to have a wedding on a Greek island, look forward to reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a worry when you go and look at houses, wondering what the neighbours will be like. We've been really lucky with ours for the past 28 years.

      Delete
  6. Another whirlwind week! I think you should definitely make another top with this pattern, it looks fabulous. I do love the contrast neckband, what a good idea. If you have any rhubarb left, you could make some rhubarb cordial, it is lovely and has a stunning colour. Hope the house viewing went well and that Hector wasn't sick anywhere else. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made rhubarb cordial a couple of years ago and it was delicious. I'd forgotten about it so thank you for the reminder. Hector wasn't sick again but managed to roll in badger poo when we took him out this afternoon. He was covered! Needless to say he has not been popular today although he smells pretty now after his bath!

      Delete
  7. I love your top Gina and that cake does look very good indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite an eventful - and productive - time you've been having, no? The waistcoats look fab, hope everyone appreciates those covered buttons and buttonholes! The rhubarb cake was well deserved after that. Which recipe did you use? need to use up some rhubarb too and like the look of that cake.

    I like to use a conrast binding and yolk lining with the Camber pattern. One of the joys of making your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a recipe I found in Delicious magazine last year... I'll see if I can find it on line. I do like the Camber pattern... it goes together so well.

      Delete
    2. https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/rhubarb-and-amaretti-cake-with-orange-and-rosemary-glaze/

      Delete
  9. oooh, the waistcoats are magnificent, the top is magnificent, the cake looks beyond magnificent and the shoes are very mama mia, so are completely appropriate for a Greek Island wedding. Well done Gina/Gill, as usual, tremendous creative output from an artistic genius, love from your number 1 fan Sharron x thanks for coming to Worcester and fingers crossed for a speedy house sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharron. It was lovely to meet you last week x

      Delete
  10. OMG Gina, you you are truly amazing. The waistcoats look divine - what an effort making all those covered buttons. I used to make them for most of my clothing back in the fifties and sixties but shied away after that. The cake looks delicious, I don't imagine it lasted very long. Did the viewing fo ell? How wonderful if you get an offer from it.
    Lucky you to be going to a Greek Island for a wedding.Have fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin. No feedback from the viewing at the weekend yet but a couple more lined up for this week so fingers crossed!

      Delete
  11. Firstly, I love your quilt - whatever you decide to do with it. Secondly, I tried recently to make self cover buttons but the notions these days are not what they used to be. Plastic, not metal and not many of the buttons turned out OK You have done a remarkable job with the waistcoats. Thirdly, I love your top with the contrasting bias binding. Great looking cake, comfy looking shoes, wonderful workshop projects and have fun at the weddings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dolores. I was lucky in finding metal self cover buttons on line.

      Delete
  12. Miss Dynamo is at it again! Well done m'dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't be doing with sitting around doing nothing!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.