Monday 4 June 2018

A Lick of Paint

I have been confounded by technology this week. After my last post I thought I had been totally abandoned by all my readers. Usually comments come through as emails to my inbox. I have no idea whether I set it up to do that or it just happened but following that last blogpost there was a deathly silence. No emails... and no comments, so I thought! Then yesterday I happened to check the blog directly and and there were 22 comments I didn't know about! It has happened since the new privacy laws so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. I also noticed something about open ID comments pop up on Blogger which I haven't checked out.

So thank you all for commenting. Of course it now means it is not so easy to reply by email which is my preference so I am gradually replying in the comment box. But is good too know that I haven't been abandoned and that I'm not alone in finding house moving stressful.

And now to make things worse my laptop is dying a slow and intensely irritating death. It still sort of works and I can just about access documents etc but everything is taking so long. It has just taken 20 minutes to save a document! So I'm trying this on my iPad... struggling with formatting but I'm determined not to be beaten.

We have just about got the house and garden as spick and span as we can
. Of course I realise anyone buying the house will want to put their own stamp on things but there has still been a lick of paint here and there. I've drawn the line at painting over the Jungle bedroom though... I just couldn't do it!


I know I have shown you photos before but I can't resist posting them one last time...

 

All done over twenty years ago because my then eight year old son (who happens to be getting married next month) was crazy about gorillas!


I was never too sure about giraffes in the jungle but Sam chose the animals he wanted to share his bedroom.


My favourite was always the salamander over the door!


However, one of the other bedrooms was still painted in decor which was the choice of a ten year old boy and I did feel that a quick makeover was called for before the estate agent came to take photos. Despite some precarious moments when I was balanced on top of the bunk bed with a tin of paint, it only took a couple of days and it also meant that the room was cleared of junk and tidied up. Of course it seemed so much brighter when I finished I wondered why I hadn't done it years ago, but you just live with these things, especially when you're not really using the room except for storage.


I would still like to paint the hallway, not because of the house move but to cover up all the scuff marks etc before I do open studios but whether I get around to that is another matter.

Meanwhile I need to sort out my technical problems as having started this yesterday it has taken forever to write it. I didn't manage to finish it on the iPad and it has taken all evening to finish it off on my laptop as it keeps freezng with a black screen... and then when I can see what I'm doing the cursor is jumping all over the place. Apologies now if there are lots of typos! I'm off to Worcester tomorrow to give a talk which I've had to change because I can't access the Powerpoint presentation on here. I'd like to tell you that I'll be back soon with news other than house moving but I'm starting feel that that if writing a blog post takes this long I might not bother again.

27 comments:

  1. I hope you get your technical problems sorted soon. It took me two or three goes to get photos onto my blog - goodness knows why. It would be a crime to paint over that gorgeous jungly bedroom. Hopefully a young person will be moving into it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm secretly hoping that some small person falls in love with our jungle too!

      Delete
  2. Lovely house.We downsized after the children left home but then we acquired grandchildren who live in Cambridge and as we live in N.Wales they come and stay so four years ago we up sized!Madness but needs must.My I pad was sooooo slow that every time I used it I felt like throwing it across the room.So on Friday I went to John Lewis and bought a new I pad.£319. Job done.
    Good luck with selling.I like moving house,odd I know,but I find it quite cathartic.Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think I could face upsizing again! Luckily my iPad is usually ok although i’m replying via my phone tonight!

      Delete
  3. Open ID is gone as 'not many people used it'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s like when a shop no longer stocks something you want because there is no demand for it!

      Delete
  4. I wondered why I had not heard from you.I hope you get it all sorted soon. I have a brand new SurfacePro with special software to let me see what I am reading and typing. It can also be inserted into a special stand and become a magnifying scanner - or it would if I could manage the technology!I will eventually.
    You could not possibly paint over that wonderful jungle wall. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some form of new laptop is on the cards!

      Delete
  5. Wish I'd read this yesterday, I'm in Worcester today and we might have managed to meet. Love the jungle room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame you couldn’t have come along for the talk as there were several guests in the audience. I’m there tomorrow too teaching... in fact I’m staying in Worcester tonight!

      Delete
    2. Hope you're enjoying Worcester. My daughter lives in the rather nice little street by the Cathedral Edgar Gate. I have to buzz over with a birthday present for SiL later. I'll look out for you when I'm in the town. Let me know if you come again, it's only 9 miles from Malvern and I'm there quite frequently.

      Delete
    3. The trouble with working away like this is that I rarely see much of where I am staying. Following my talk I went back to the home of one of the members who lived south of Worcester. We spent a lovely evening together and then it was straight back to the centre where I was teaching all day before my three hour drive home!

      Delete
  6. Oh dear, technology is horrible when it all goes wrong isn't it. I hope a new laptop wings its way to you soon, you deserve it! Love the jungle room, it's brilliant. And maybe the new buyers will keep it, it's perfect for a little person. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m hoping it will appeal. So another small person somewhere!

      Delete
  7. I think all Blogger bloggers have that same problem. Hugely annoying, I hope it will be resolved soon. I can't imagine anyone abandoning your blog, it is too nice to stop by a read about this and that.

    The jungle room is fabulous, what an amazing mural for your son. I bet all his friends were really jealous. I love the chameleon, too.

    I have a MacBook Air. It is hugely expensive but so worth it. They last absolutely forever with no problems at all. My old one was still happy after I dropped it onto the tarmac from a great height. It is now getting a thorough bashing from a careless teenager and seems happy (I was the lucky recipient of a new one, a bonus from work but for personal use). I don't get paid to say this :-)

    Have a wonderful day. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m tempted by a MacBook as I love my iPad. My problem is I am so used to using windows 7 I can’t face learning something new. I think it has to be done though!

      Delete
  8. Do you know what...that jungle could well be a selling point!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can't possibly paint over the jungle bedroom! I'm sure some little person will love it. As for technology, is brilliant when it works but SO frustrating when it doesn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m hoping some little person loves it as much as us!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the jungle too - of course you couldn't paint over it! good luck with the sale and the purchase too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wondered why I've not been getting email notifications about my blog comments, that explains it.
    There's nothing so frustrating as computery issues, I feel your pain! You've managed to upload this very well from your ipad, more than I'd be able to do!
    It's great that you've taken pictures of your mural paintings, maybe the new owners will love them too but now at least you have a record of them which is lovely. Good luck with the sale and the move. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, those pesky laptop gremlins. (Funny thing, your last comment on my blog didn't ping in my email inbox.) Love that jungle! The gorilla is a dead ringer for the drum playing Cadbury one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not getting email notifications is a real pain... how are we supposed to know if someone leaves a comment on an old post?

      Delete
  14. Really, you just taken 20 minutes to save a document!
    airport parking Gatwick

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.