Monday 14 May 2012

A New Project

Much as I am enjoying the challange of creating all the little matchbox books it is good to have a new project to work on. Last week I met with some people from The Folk Museum in Cambridge to discuss a project to coincide with both the Jubilee celebrations and the Olympic torch passing through the city.
 

The people at the museum are collecting memories of street parties from Cambridge residents and I have been asked to help turn those memories into bunting. I decided that using old embroidered table linen would provide the link with the theme of tea parties and I would embroider snippets of each memory onto the flags.


Each one will have the date and the place and a few other key words to capture the essence of the memory.


But I need some help. My supply of table linens is quite sparse, the charity shops etc have next to nothing, I have a limited budget and I know that it is in high demand... so I'm on the scrounge again! If any readers have any scraps of old embroidered table linens that I could use could I make a plea that you send them my way. I don't want your treasured heirlooms or anything of any value sentimental or otherwise but any pieces or scraps, in any condition, whether stained or in holes will be perfect as I will be piecing them together. I know you have always been so supportive of my projects in the past... so I've got my fingers crossed.


It's been a busy weekend - teaching on Saturday and then a large part of yesterday spent making the bunting samples to show the museum so there hasn't been as much book making as I might have hoped. Just one...


My brief was Blue and Green... Sea colours


So I made an embroidered cover for the box and the book is a tiny flag book with folded envelopes to hold the pages. I've a couple more to make with blue as the theme so I might work on those next... as well as some more of the Jubilee books. The ones in my shop have sold (thank you!) so I'll try to get some more there by the end of the week.


And last but not least... Su has been picked to receive "The Fine Colour of Rust". All I ask Su is that is you also pass it on when you've read it and make your own list of Pleasing Things for us to read!

17 comments:

  1. Hi Gina... I've probably got some we can spare for you. Give me a call ... and if you have time come for a cake and cuppa and have a rummage through the stash for your self.

    Celia
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might have some too, I'm up to my eyes in it at the moment but if I can dig them out I'll give you a shout! Sounds an amazing project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bunting is going to be fabulous! I hope you get lots more linen. Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. botherooooo! I took HEAPS to the charity shop in Histon on Friday. If only I'd known. I was given a lovely pile and decided that I should share them after I'd taken what I wanted. Lovley idea to make bunting with them! Best wishes with it all. Moira x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great project hope you get what you need. Lovely book also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of your Jubilee bunting and it's a delightful way to recycle vintage table linen. I have a few bits which I thought I might do something with, but I know you will make better use of it. I should have your address somewhere - if I can't find it I will email you.
    Love the latest matchbox book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got quite a lot of linens so I will look them out tomorrow (out tonight) and get them in the post asap. I love the new sea coloured book. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely idea - I only have a few and already have them earmarked (and am looking for more!) but if I have any bits left will certainly pass them on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous bunting, what a lovely idea.

    Thanks for picking my name out - how exciting! Of course I'll pass it on and do the list too, will get my thinking cap on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bunting looks lovely. I will have a look to see what if anything I have got left. I did some chopping up not so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As an inveterate hoarder I have a little stash of these things as you might expect! I was looking through them last week with someone to find something else and there was a little niggle at the back of my mind that I was keeping these things for no reason other than they might come in handy 'one day'.... well maybe it's your 'one day' and not mine so I'll sort through this week and send a package your way. Where will the bunting end it's days after the torch and the jubilee? Albeit time consuming I think this is a fabulous project to be associated with. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will keep my eye out - we have a good second hand market up here that sometimes has them going cheap - so will let you know. Best of luck with it - Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a brilliant idea for the bunting! good luck and the mini books are great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll have a little rummage, and see what I can find!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fabulous projects! I've just discovered your blog and I'm blown away by your creativity - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely little book Gina and a great idea for the bunting. I hope it's kept for future occasions.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.