Saturday 4 August 2007

A Day Out

Today we've been blessed with the most gorgeous summer weather - sunshine and blue skies and so Stewart (husband) and I have had a day out in Ely. I have recently completed a residency in Ely, working with year 2 children and much of our work was inspired by the Stained Glass Museum in the Cathedral. The children did observational drawings and then made their own "stained glass" panels from perspex. You can read more about the museum here. It is a real undiscovered gem.








We were delighted to discover many of the children's perspex panels hanging in the entrance to Waitrose in the city centre where they are on display for the summer. Don't they look beautiful. You can read more about the project here.


We had a picnic lunch by the riverside which was lovely






and then we went onto the Cathedral to visit the museum.


We also saw an interesting exhibition at the Babylon Gallery by Fran Crowe called "Walking to Save the Sea" which raised issues about the huge amount of plastic waste that pollutes our oceans. Fran has a website with lots of pictures which explain it all far better than I can.


As well as a lovely day out I've managed another couple of pages in my OPUS sketchbook so feeling very pleased.




Another tinsel page... it doesn't look very tinselly in the picture but it really sparkles!




and another Luscious page!


Tomorrow I'm off at the crack of dawn to Missenden Abbey for my Summer School. A week of teaching but also a week catching up with friends as well as a week of no grocery shopping, cooking or laundry! Can't be bad. I'll be back in a week, hopefully with some lovely pictures of student's work.

2 comments:

  1. Gina I love these pomegranate studies! We have something in common apart from art.....my husband's name is Stewart too. We have been together 6 years and he is a lovely man. Hope you have a great time at Missenden. I'll look forward to your posts when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't the children's stained glass panels beautiful? You obviously inspired them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.