Friday 3 August 2007

Cutting and Sticking

I finally made a start on my summer project sketchbook last night - thanks to Ben (son no. 1) cooking supper. He's an excellent cook and produced a wonderful smoked salmon and spinach tart with watercress pesto, all from scratch. What a treat! But I digress...

When I say I made a start I stuck some screwed up tissue onto a page and left it to dry. This morning I looked at it and still didn't know what to do. A cup of tea and some magazine browsing led me to the following quote from Henri Matisse: "Don't wait for inspiration, it comes while one is working." Which was just what I needed to kick start me into action. The project is about the Senses and we have a list of words to "inform" our work. I took the first word which is Tinsel and produced a couple of textured pages with a bit of sparkle. The sparkle doesn't really show in the photos. I'm not that pleased with the actual pages but happy that I've made a start and as a result have lots more ideas of things I want to try.








One of our other words is Luscious which with a bit of word association led me to succulent, juicy, mouthwatering etc. So I did some pen and ink work of pomegranates - playing with the patterns really, which was fairly basic but fun. I think it is going to take me a while to really get to grips with this project though.





However the highlight of today was discovering a Ginkgo tree in our village. So I removed a few leaves, brought them home, painted them gold and now I feel another book cover coming on! Watch this space.





1 comment:

  1. Well done! You started your sketchbook :0)) I really like the pomegranate sketch. I wonder what it is about gengko leaves? They are really attractive arn't they? Must be the shape. I think the potential for pattern appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.