Monday 13 July 2020

Out of Sorts

How are you all? Well, busy, staying sane I hope.
I feel I'm managing two out of three most of the time but life does feel strange and I feel a little adrift and out of sorts. We are fortunate that we are healthy and our family are all well and we live in a beautiful area where it's easy to get out and walk or meet up with friends and family at a distance so I'm not really complaining. We are a lot better off than most but life is feeling a little flat.

Time to focus on the good things I think...


The first couple of weekends of our alternative to open studios have gone well and although the first weekend was a little breezy I managed to sit outside and chat to loads of people who came to see my portraits... all at a safe distance of course!
You can see all the portraits here.


And in between visitors there was time to catch up with my art journal.


There was a trip out to Aldeburgh for my birthday. A friend had been the week before and said it was relatively quiet so we decided to risk it. It was another breezy day but we managed a lovely long walk along the coast.


I always like to see the magnificent sculpture The Scallop by Maggi Hambling and just breath the sea air and listen to the sounds of the shore... waves breaking and gulls calling.



We ate fish and chips from the bag, sitting on the prom, which always makes them taste better. And although there were people were around it was easy to keep our distance and feel safe.


And when we got home there was the most amazing birthday cake that Stewart had ordered for me. Fortunately we had people to share it with and slices were delivered, although we still managed several slices each. My dear husband doesn't believe in buying small when large is on offer!


I'm enjoying a lot more reading and I'm currently enjoying Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo although I don't think I will finish it in time for our reading group Zoom meeting on Wednesday.


Today I actually picked some blackberries and although they will be enjoyed for breakfast tomorrow it is way too early in the year for blackberry picking! The world is definitely out of sorts... it's not only me!



And great excitement because tomorrow I have a hair appointment, which feels shallow and trivial but I can't wait. I might even manage a bit of lippy and something other than comfy trousers, although as I will be wearing my face mask, lipstick might be surplus to requirements!

So not much to complain about really... trying to live for the moment and not worry too much about the uncertainty of our future.

8 comments:

  1. Same feelings here. Lucky to be where I am but definitely feeling flat. Love the birthday cake and glad you had a good birthday. Stay smiling. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday Gina ...that was a wonderful cake!!
    I think this is going to be a bumper year for blackberries, the hedgerows are full of them although no ripe ones here yet!
    I also have a hair appointment this week so no not trivial or shallow at all ... I can't wait either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are all feeling as you do Gina. One of my neighbours of similar age to myself (we have chats through my window as she does her daily two laps round the building) said how lucky people of our age are just now. No job to worry about, no family dependent on us, and a secure and regularly professionally cleaned building to live in. Your birthday cake was amazing. That is very early for blackberries. And, I had my hair cut last Monday - thank goodness. Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Gina (better late than never)! Your birthday cake looks delicious and your birthday outing sounds like fun. Glad you enjoyed the alternative open studios, your window looks fab. I have a hair appointment on August 6, really looking forward to it. Not shallow at all, it is important to feel good and if a haircut helps, that is good xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, life feels very flat - we would normally be going to Scotland around now and earlier cancelled a trip to Holland. I have a thrilling dentist visit next week having managed to break a tooth! Goodness knows when I shall get to the hairdressers, that will be a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A belated happy birthday to you! That is a wonderful cake, it looks delicious, what a fun surprise to come home to.

    I am glad to hear that you art trail round the village was a success, I love your picture windows they look even more amazing in situ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your portrait window looks wonderful - and I am sure was very much enjoyed by passersby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday Gina! It looks like you're keeping good and busy -- you're so lucky to live in such a beautiful place. Love your fun portrait window!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.