Sunday 16 September 2018

The Story of a Bun

In all the years I've lived in the Cambridge area until recently I had never eaten a legendary Fitzbillie's Chelsea Bun. These sticky fruit buns were created and first eaten at The Bun House in Chelsea in the eighteenth century but they have become synonymous with Fitzbillies restaurant in Cambridge. So in the interest of crossing another sixty by sixty off my list I thought it was about time I tried one.


Maybe it was because I kept hearing how amazing they are but on trying the real thing I was actually just a little bit disappointed.  Now don't get me wrong, it was good, but not as good as I thought they would be. They were just a bit too dry despite the sticky topping (I wondered as it was a Sunday if they were possibly a day old?) and there wasn't enough spicy flavour for my taste.

So given that on the Great British Bake Off last week (despite my growing disappointment with the show I can't resist watching) the contestants were asked to make Chelsea buns I couldn't resist the challenge.


I brought out my trusty mixer to knead up some dough and decided to go with an almond and cherry theme, soaking dried and glace cherries in some Cointreau with a few drops of almond essence. I would have preferred Amaretto for extra almond flavour but I didn't have any!


When the dough had risen it was knocked back and rolled out before spreading it with melted butter, a mix of ground almonds and sugar as well as the drained fruit.


It then was rolled up like a Swiss roll and then allowed to rise again.


The recipe that I was using as a guide suggested making a sticky glaze that was added just before baking but I think I would add a glaze after the buns are cooked if I made them again. I also think I would find a bigger tin because my buns were starting to make a bid for freedom!


But despite being rather misshapen and a little too crisp on top, they were very soft and pillowy inside with a good almond and cherry flavour. Definitely worth making again to perfect the recipe!


And although it feels like sacrilege to say so.. I preferred them to the Fitzbillies buns!

Only two more 60 x 60 things to go before I start my 100 challenge!

14 comments:

  1. Great job, your buns are brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just imagine sinking my teeth into one of those gorgeous pillowy buns. I think you have enough experience to be able to judge your own work honestly and without feeling guility!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is still room for improvement... already planning the next batch!

      Delete
  3. Lovely buns! :)
    You do like to give yourself a challenge Gina!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think there was something wrong if I was sitting back doing nothing!

      Delete
  4. You have made me sooo hungry just reading this post. Delicious! B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good for breakfast this morning!

      Delete
  5. Look fandabidosi those buns of yours Gina. I'm ashamed to admit I quite like the GGBO ... i'm sorry I wasn't the greatest fan of Mary B. I hope i'm not in for some abuse for saying that! The lovely Bristol girl went to the school where I taught and where my girls went to school so I am rather rooting for her. Love your bakey blogs. Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that I much prefer Pru to Mary Berry but I do miss Mel and Sue. And some of the things they are asked to bake seem beyond ridiculous. I still like to watch it though... and I'll be rooting for your Bristol girl x

      Delete
  6. Love Chelsea buns - and with cherries and almond, even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherry and almond really work together well in the buns.

      Delete
  7. Oh, is there anything more satisfying than tearing apart a batch of freshly baked yeasted buns? I think not. They look so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree! So much so I have taken one out of the freezer for my lunch!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.