Friday 3 February 2017

Rags to Riches

My sixty by sixty project, which was going so well before Christmas, seems to have reached somewhat of a hiatus over the last month. Sometimes there is just too much going on in day to day life without adding new experiences. But something I've always wanted to do is to make a rag rug and after enjoying making my rag rug door wreath in December I've been prompted to make a start.


I wanted something that looks quite contemporary so have opted for a design of squares and rectangles based on one by Kaffe Fasset in his book "Glorious Interiors". Whether this gets finished or not before my birthday in July is another matter but it will be ongoing... a bit like the 1000 piece jigsaw! It will get added to my list once it is complete.


Secretly I would have liked to make one with fabulous flowers, like the one on the cover of the book but have reined myself in and decided for a first attempt I need to learn to walk before I run... most unlike me.


Next week I hope to actually be adding another two more experiences to my sixty by sixty list, but you'll have to wait until I've done them before you hear about all it! I've also got the first day in my new job next week (that is becoming quite a saga... I'll save that for another time!) and it is the final week of rehearsals for a play I'm directing... I haven't told you about that either, have I? And there's a rather long walk that I need to start training for... You'll just have to come back again I'm afraid.
Whatever you are doing, have a lovely weekend!

17 comments:

  1. I love the look of your ragrug already, and I love the work of Kaffe Fassett. I have had to give up rugging as I have arthritis in my hands and fingers, but I still have my hook and my Granny's hook too. Good luck with the new job and all you are doing and planning for. I was tired before I read this post, now I am going to take a rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaffe Fassett is an all time favourite and I love that book - must have a browse again. Looking forward to seeing your rag rug progress and the other temptations you have hinted at!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember making one years ago for my daughters bedroom when she was little...I wonder where that went to! Kaffe's books are amazing.
    Have a good weekend Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Gina, you are just fab. I love Kaffe Fassett's designs very much, particularly the flowers. I have a flowery KF fabric that I plan to turn into a shirt soon. Have a great weekend. Maybe have a good rest before your busy week ahead. Can't wait to hear all about it. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see that you are slowing down, as you said you would! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a lot older I think I am entitled to feel tired. So glad you are filling your life with wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love rag rugs. Apparently they used to have red circles in them to scare the devil away if he came down the chimney! I tried making one once but I think the hessian was the wrong grade as the rags didn't stay in :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to hearing about the rug, I'm sure it will look great. As for more 60 by 60 can't wait to hear what you've been up to. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing something exciting on Wednesday so will be back to tell you all about it!

      Delete
  9. I love the look of your rug. Oldest daughter made one about a year or so ago. I think she found the making process very relaxing. Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding it very relaxing... and quite compulsive. I keep thinking...just one more row!

      Delete
  10. That does look good. I made a rug about thirty years ago and really enjoyed it, but with wool. How easy is it to hook the fabric through the canvas? You've got me thinking about one for the bedroom... plus making blinds, upholstering chairs.. oh dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you choose the right fabrics it's quite easy. Old T shirts work really well.

      Delete
  11. You'll get it done - you're so good at finishing things.
    Looking forward to hearing all your other news xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Boy oh boy -- do you ever slow down? I can't wait to watch your rug in progress -- I've always wanted to do that, but talk myself out of it -- not needing yet another hobby LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gina, I did rag rugs for a long time but gave them up because of other interests. I see you're using an old rug making tool instead of a proper hook. I have one you can have for the duration if you'd like to try it. Let me know as the work grows quickly with the hook. Similarly if you're choosing odd things to cut up for ragging, cotton t shirts or anything 'crimpelene' works a whizz.Good luck with the project and the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a bit surprised you're not going straight to the gorgeous flower design, but as you say, you have other things to get through as well. Maybe for your 70 X 70 year?
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.