Sunday 20 October 2013

Books Galore

Yesterday I taught a bookmaking class at our Embroiderer's Guild. We were making these books that I shared here a couple of weeks ago... probably one of my favourite book structures but not one I have never taught before. After several trial  runs I thought I had it nailed... but I think I may have under estimated how tricky they are!
 
 
However, despite having to grapple with mathematical formulae to get the covers the right size and then needing at least two pairs of hands to hold everything in place whilst trying to stitch the thing together, there were several finished books at the end of the day... and a few more that were almost done and taken home to finish. Each and every one of them looked fabulous.

 
And I just love the way they look together...

 
With each combination of colours and pattern looking so good

 
I forgot my camera so these photos were kindly taken by Jill who made the gorgeous blue/pink book on the left in the photo below.

 
Gill finished hers off at home... a pink book of course! I'm hoping I'll get to see the others that were finished at home too. Thank you ladies... it was a super day and you all did so well.

 
I managed to use some lovely Italian marbled paper for the cover of the book that I made in class...

 
I bought it in Florence some years ago and I had been saving it for "best" which I've decided is a silly thing to do... because beautiful things should be enjoyed every day.

 
So I'll be making more books with this paper.

 
I made a little one too... because I can't resist making little things!

 
Just 3" square.

 
And today has been a rare day off from work and deadlines... instead I've cooked lunch for my family and baked a chocolate fudge cake, we've sat around the table and laughed and relaxed... which has gone a little way to restore the balance... for now at least!


21 comments:

  1. they are gorgeous Gina - and what an interesting shape - I shall have to study more closely. yummy cake too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those books are all wonderful - what clever students you have. I think it is something to do with the tutor. I love that marbled paper and the cake looks a bit gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can confirm, it is EVERYTHING to do with the tutor! It was a great workshop and all the books (even mine, if I may say so) look beautiful. Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can confirm, it is EVERYTHING to do with the tutor! It was a great workshop and all the books (even mine, if I may say so) look beautiful. Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The books are very lovely, love the baby one and those gorgeous papers. I think the fudge cake would make anyone feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the books look fabulous, and the cake looks totally scrummy! You deserved to put your feet up today I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look gorgeous and you're right they look great altogether.
    Why is it we save things for best....I do it all the time!
    Glad you had a relaxing Sunday. :)
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great workshop - thanks Gina, yes I promise I will finish mine.
    Glad it was feet up time, sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting shape to the books and fabulous results from your students.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those books look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your books and your cake all look exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are beautiful! What fun to see the variety, the combinations everyone comes up with!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are beautiful! What fun to see the variety, the combinations everyone comes up with!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well DRAT! I absolutely love this book. What is this particular method called? I've looked on-line and can't find directions of any sort for it. What are the chances of you putting together an on-line class so those of us across the pond can also learn it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful books - very much looking forward to learning how to make these sometime soon! Cake looks good too...

    ReplyDelete
  16. They're beautiful Gina! How fun to teach a class and see all the different books!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Gina for a great class. I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought the books were stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your students' books look super - it's something I'd love to learn to do. And that cake looks so delicious and very, very moreish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What beautiful books and such lucky students having you to teach them :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those books are gorgeous - I love unusual bookbinding techniques and that open spine is so attractive!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.