Saturday 14 April 2012

Back Home Again

I arrived home on Thursday having had the holiday of a lifetime that lived up to my every expectation. After sleeping well on Thursday night (after 24 hours in the air) I spent most of yesterday in a state of light headed other worldliness, went to bed exhausted and have now been awake since 2 am... the joys of jet lag! But a chance to sort out my photos and write a blog post and a small price to pay for such a fabulous couple of weeks. So are you ready for a selection of my holiday snaps and an account of my trip... (might send you to sleep!)


Joe met me and Mum at Auckland airport, we found our hire car and our first stop was to stay with my cousins Diane and John who made us so welcome for the first few days of our New Zealand journey. The view above is from the balcony of their beautiful home just north of Auckland. We spent the first couple of days exploring the local area and this is Orewa beach... the first of many beautiful deserted beaches we were to discover.


Mum, Joe and me... on day one of our trip.


On our second day we drove back into Auckland from where we took a ferry to Waiheke Island


Good food, good ice cream and more beautiful scenery.


After leaving my cousin's home, we headed north to the Bay of Islands via the famous Hundertwasser public toilets in Kawakawa.

Joe and I booked on a trip to swim with dolphins but it was a bit wild and windy and there were only three of us booked to go, so the trip was cancelled which was a little disappointing but not for long. After the Bay of Islands we ventured further north via Mangouni for some excellent fish and chips. We drove as far north as we could to Cape Reinga where the Pacific Ocean and Tasmin Sea meet.


I couldn't go to New Zealand without experiencing something adventurous (and I wasn't planning to jump off anything) so we stopped at the giant Te Paki sand dunes where Joe and I tried some sand tobogganing... Mum sat this one out! This is Joe coming down and yes... it is as steep as it looks but so much fun! He's got a similar photo of me!

And another stop... this time 90 mile beach where it looks like this for as far as you can see in either direction. Not quite 90 miles but it might as well be.


Next we came back south of Auckland via tropical rainforest, under canopies of beautiful tree ferns and giant kauri trees.

Our next stop was Waitomo where we visited the famous glow worm caves... although I think I might save that adventure for another post. Whilst in the area we also did a bushwalk, visited the Marokopa Falls...

and walked around the Mangapohue Natural Bridge Scenic Reserve.

Next stop on our road trip was Rotorua, famous for its geo-thermal springs, mud pools, areas of hissing steam escaping from the ground and strong smell of sulphur! We had a fabulous tour around the Whakarewarewa thermal village where Maori people still live among the hot springs using them to cook and bathe. We were treated to a bit of Maori culture and ate corn on the cob that had been cooked in hot water bubbling from the ground.

And we got to see this amazing geyser letting off steam.

Moving on again we ended up in the Coromandel peninsular for the Easter weekend. First of all a walk down to Cathedral Cove.

And next... hot water beach. This beach has hot water springs under the sand, so when the tide is out you can dig a hole which fills with really hot water which you can sit in like a little personal spa pool... in theory anyway. We arrived to find the beach heaving with people (such a contrast to every other beach) all with spades trying to dig out their own little hole. But the low tide wasn't as low as it might have been and everytime anyone made progress on a hole... a wave came in and filled it with cold water. It was hilarious! Despite Joe's best efforts and the fact that we could feel the burning hot water under our feet we gave up...


and dug a hole on a quiet part of the beach which filled with cold water! Joe and I parked our bums in our cold water spa and dozens of people came to ask had we found hot water and by the time we left there were dozens more holes around ours... might have been because we told fibs and said it was lovely and warm!

Having had enough of the crowds we ventured back to this beach where we spent the rest of our Easter Sunday.

Our final stop was Coromandel Town, a quet and picturesque town famous for its green lipped mussels (which were excellent!)

And another drive on an unmade road with hair pin bends over a mountain took us to this beach at Kennedy Bay. Two glorious weeks of unbelievably beautiful unspoilt scenery... and we just saw a fraction of it. No wonder everyone raves abound New Zealand. But best of all was spending two weeks with Joe and my Mum. It was very hard saying goodbye to him on Wednesday.

And wonderful though it all was, it was also good to get home... to a lovely clean and tidy house that Stewart had filled with flowers. I'm very lucky indeed. But now it's back to reality... and I need to sort out my sleep pattern before work next week!

31 comments:

  1. Awww... it looks WONDERFUL Gina - I particularly love the beach spa story! ... Mr Marmalade and I are actively plotting our son's future emigration to Australia so that we can go and live there too ... we keep telling him the weather is nice there .. he likes nice weather ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it sounds like you all had a great time. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing your sketchbook.It's nice to have you back, I've missed reading your posts.How nice of Stewart to fill the house with flowers, a lovely homecoming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Gina, it looks as if you had the wonderful time you were hoping for - though that was never in doubt :-) Love the beach spa - I might try that in Devon this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic pictures, glad you had a good time (we all knew you would). We're off to Cleveleys later wonder if we dug a hole deep enough it would fill with warm water........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell Stewart I take it all back about pizza boxes, washing machines and cleaning contracts...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a wonderful time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha - I was thinking about you this morning Gina and wondering when you would be back. what fabulous photos and wonderful scenery, a mind boggling trip and a lovely memory

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous holiday! New Zealand has been at the top of my bucket list for a long time!!
    More photos please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whar a wonderful trip, one you will remember for ever! The scenery looks amazing and I'm sure it was as hard for Joe letting you go as it was for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gina, I am so pleased you enjoyed your New Zealand holiday.

    It is a beautiful country - I especially love Rotarua.

    I am hoping we might have a New Zealand trip this year. It is nice and close for us here in Australia.

    Your pictures are wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds heavenly and your photographs are beautiful. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that just looks so beautiful - I could happily live right nextdoor to any one of those beaches (except maybe not the one with hot sand and crazy digging people). It must have been SO hard to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow Gina, what a trip. Rain forests, geysers, beautiful beaches, amazing scenery, you had it all, you lucky thing.
    It must have been very hard to leave and I'm sure you miss your boy!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gina that really is a trip of a lifetime! What an incredible adventure. I'm terribly jealous as New Zealand is top of my list of places to visit if I win the lottery. It sounds like you had the best time imaginable and loads of memories to mull over on cold, English winter evenings. I hope you get your sleep pattern back soon, it must be awfully disorientating, worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My goodness, but this all sounds (and looks) amazing.......... especially the sand dune adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you had a lovely time with your family - a place I have always wanted to visit! I received a Versatile Bloggers Award this week and am pleased to nominate you to receive it too - have a look here for more details: http://miaoucrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/my-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an adventure! And how lovely of Stewart to welcome you home with flowers, he's a treasure. That photo of Cathedral Cove is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so good to know that you are home and have had a wonderful holiday. So many fabulous photos and happy memories to last you until the next time. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great adventure - a beautiful photos!

    I'm so pleased you had a wonderful time :-)

    Celia
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. The photos are lovely Gina, a holiday to treasure! I'm sure that Joe enjoyed having his Mum visit. As everyone else is going to try digging their own hot spa's around the coast of the UK, I'll give the beaches of Norfolk a try in May I don't hold out much hope of finding warm water though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like you had a wonderful time and I'm sure Joe was as happy to see you as you were to see him. And sounds like Stewart missed you too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Welcome back, what a wonderful trip, NZ does look the most amazing place and I can only imagine your wonderful reunion with your son. I see mine in Cardiff about 4 times a year and always feel a little bit sad when I/ he leaves, so I can imagine the wrench when you left. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Welcome home Gina, what a wonderful trip, you must carrying around a real 'glow' from all your experiences, not least from being with your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good to see the lovely photos and had a wonderful time with Joe; I'm sure it went too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good to see the lovely photos and wonderful to spend time with Joe; I'm sure it went too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Welcome back Gina - I've been wondering how your trip went - it looks fabulous! What amazing beaches. Oof, those fish and chips sound good too. I'm especially excited that you saw glow worms though! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just catching up. How absolutely wonderful it all looks. And to do it with your lovely son too -- couldn't be better, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is good to see that you are back safe and sound. The photos are super, you had a whale of a time.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh WOW, Gina! That sounds absolutely like the trip of a lifetime. I love the pictures of the hot/cold beach - too funny!

    Nancy x

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW! What a fabulous trip! I LOVE that you guys "fibbed" a bit about your hot spring -- you're hysterical!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh it all sounds absolutely amazing! Most definitely the trip of a lifetime. K x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.