Sunday 31 July 2011

A Rather Special Day!

My day started just after 7 am with a long drive down the M11 and round the M25 to Sevenoaks where I worked with a group of ladies from the Embroiderer's Guild making landscape inspired, machined textured panels. It was a full on busy day and they worked hard to produce these fabulous bits of work which are in various stages of completion.


















Now much as I had a lovely time in Sevenoaks I had a pressing engagement to return to... someone very exciting to go and see. (okay so the Sevenoaks ladies were exciting too!!!)  So, at the end of the workshop I bid a hasty farewell and got back in the car to head home. And after a quick freshen up it was out again to Audley End.

By the time we arrived the place was already packed... the Welsh dragon on the flag is a clue as to who we we going to see. We found our friends who had been there most of the afternoon and joined them for a picnic supper... while we waited... it was a glorious evening.


And eventually... he came on stage... we were a long way back but it didn't matter. His voice is still magnificent, whether singing new songs or the old favourites. Can you see who it is?


 One of the old favourites...



Tom Jones... you could teach these youngsters a thing or two! Absolutely fantastic!


And there were even fireworks to finish off the day!
(And I'd just like to add... I kept my knickers on)

19 comments:

  1. You could have taken a spare pair to throw on stage!! I've always like Tom Jones - he represented everything my Mother warned me about!! Those landscape panels are gorgeous. I really enjoy working with those techniques and 'see' landscapes in everything. What a super day you had - hope today has been peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear about the knickers!

    Those embroideries look fantastic - what a full and enjoyable day you had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relieved to hear you kept all your undergarments! We're off there tonight to the last night concert. Last time we went there was a fab spitfire flypast/dance in the air display, wonder if it'll be there again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm so glad you added the last sentence because when I saw who it was that was going to be my question! ;)
    Gorgeous embroideries!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina,
    I read a great review a few months ago about Tom's latest album. I think he's got better with age... just like me!Looks like a busy old day. I'm so glad you kept your underwear under wraps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those fabulous bits of work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work from the ladies, reminds me of my workshop with you at Art and Stitch and that I really should do some more embroidery.

    A fabulous night out too and well done on the restraint although I do agree with Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Couldn't stand Tom Jones the first time round - distinctly uncool when you were a Stones fan, However time has mellowed my opinion of him.I can imagine that it was a brilliant night - and the class results look very good too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a wonderful day Gina. you've combined my two favourite things to do, music and creating

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful embroidery. I love Tom Jones. It's not Unusual is my in the shower warbling, song of choice.....
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful, wasn't it! there were definitely some undergarments being flung, and some even hoisted on poles along with those Welsh dragons!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful embroidery.......

    Concert sounds a triumph. I wouldn't be able to throw underwear lest I gave him concussion!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh you lucky thing! What a voice!

    I was very tempted to get tickets - Tom's at Newmarket race course in a couple of weeks time...

    Celia
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you made it and relieved that you stayed respectable. By the amount of boxes the picnic was a success too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We saw him at Haydock Race Course a few weeks ago. As a package we watched 5 Races (lost on every one!)had a 3 course meal and then Tom Jones--super evening out.( and several pairs of MEN'S undergarments came wizzing past us!!!!!!!!) Vera

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks like a fun evening - as for the knickers, well it might have been a bit cold later to go commando!!!


    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tom Jones!!! There's a blast from the past. Makes me want to break out into song....

    It's not unusual.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are just too sensible Gina! Glad you video Delilah - that's my favourite xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. A friend of mine got severe food poisoning atbthat concert.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.