Thursday 22 July 2010

All done...

The first draft of my essay went to my tutor at the end of last week. I had my final tutorial on Tuesday and after some minor tweaking it is finished! Hooray!

My journal and research portfolio have also been assembled and packed up and so now all that is left is to get the whole lot in the post ready for marking... a whole week before the end of this module! More hoorays! I can't tell you the plans I've got for all the things I'm going to finish or make during August!

Although it is a relief to have finished I have thoroughly enjoyed all the reading and research for this module and have not experienced any of the crises of confidence that I seem to get during the practical modules. The essay I chose was to compare two contemporary artists who use the body in their work.

I chose Marc Quinn who rose to fame for his work Self which was exhibited at the Sensation: Young British artists from the Saatchi collection exhibition at the RA in 1997. It is a frozen sculture of his head made from 9 pints of his own blood. He remakes this every five years as an exploration of the changing state of the body. He is also known for his classically inspired marble statues of people with disabilities, probably most famously for his controversial 3.5m tall Statue Alison Lapper Pregnant which stood on the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square in 2005.

The artist I chose to compare him with is Yinka Shonibare who also uses the body to explore ideas about identity but in a completely different and humourous way. He is well known for his use of colourful "African" fabrics which are not actually African but are printed European copies of Indonesian batiks, that he buys on Brixton market in London. He makes headless mannequins which parody Western colonisers and Victorian values, calling into question ideas about race, hybridity and authenticity.

And although it has nothing to do with the body he also has an installation on the fourth plinth at the moment.. this magnificent ship in a bottle with sails made from his trademark fabrics.

And so unusally for me I've now got some time on my hands to finish off some planning, explore some new projects and generally catch up with myself before the new module starts in September...

And I've also got something of a blogging anniversary coming up so call back tomorrow and I may just be giving something away...

18 comments:

  1. You now have a chance to enjoy the good weather too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some artists are certainly strange. I don't understand why it is still so difficult, for textile artists to get the recognition they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a lovely August, its great to finish a module isn't it. I am trying to do 3 weeks worth before Friday ... thats tommorrow ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations - what a relief to have completed all that. I went to see Sensation in 1997. That head was quite disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done for finishing early!

    I'm looking forward to seeing how you fill your summer now...

    PS. I agree with Emma - that head!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, very well done Gina! And early too...you should have a celebration of some kind, perhaps involving cake and Champagne?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Gina - what a relief!

    That head is just freaky though. I know, I'm a philistine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating essay, glad you enjoyed it. Now open a bottle....... and relax............. :O)))))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done and enjoy your time off! Those artists are so very different in their approach - fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a thimbleful...

    I've said it before - it exhausts me just reading about your activities! Time to sit back now and have some 'me' time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting choices, Gina!

    Congrats on wrapping up :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on getting it done early. Enjoy your spare time creating.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on getting all that course work done!

    I so very nearly threw up a bit at that frozen blood head and feel I will now have nightmares... thanks ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh such a relief to get it all done early - sounds fascinating - enjoy August - you know you will keep very busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on finishing this module. You must of breathed a huge sigh of relief.
    The cakes (in your previous post) look very scrummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on this milestone!
    I saw Yinka Shonibare's work in a Fiber Arts magazine some time ago and just FELL IN LOVE! Amazing!

    Somehow, I missed your wedding photos. You looked absolutely wonderful and it looked like a perfect day all around.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on finishing--and early too! Really looking forward to reading all about your summer projects and adventures.

    And I didn't know he remade the head every five years. Eeek!

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on finishing! And Enjoy the summer! x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.