Monday 22 December 2014

Day Twenty Two :: Peppermint Bark

Every year when Julie posts about making Peppermint Bark as teachers' presents I think how wonderful. In the days when I taught in secondary school I usually went home with boxes of Quality Street chocolates or bottles of bubble bath at Christmas time. Don't get me wrong... I was very grateful that any pupil would even think to buy me a present... but how wonderful it must be to be the recipient of such beautiful home made chocolates. I guess "home made" wasn't much in vogue in the 1980s!
 

And every year when I read about Julie's peppermint bark I resolve to make some myself but never do! But this year is different... I spent a small fortune on Green and Black's chocolate (other brands are available), found a stock of Candy Canes in a fancy sweet shop and I was all set to go.


 
So this morning in between putting marzipan on the cake and steaming my Christmas pudding... (I'm going for youth over maturity... maturity is vastly overrated in my opinion!) I made some peppermint bark. If you follow the link to Julie's blog you can find out how to make it.

 
Mine didn't cut into such neat squares as Julie's but I figure bark can be a bit rough around the edges and it looks just fine packaged up for gifts... especially with Julie's downloadable labels.

 
Not destined for anyone in particular but ready for impromptu visits or visitors
 

There were quite a few trimmings left for the cook to sample but they were so delicious I fear the cook may have had too many and is feeling a little sick now! Yes, I know... it serves her right!

11 comments:

  1. Anything that has white chocolate in it has to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of peppermint bark but it does look and sound rather delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made some of Julies peppermint bark last Friday, it is good, just had a little slice after my dinner! ;) Mine isn't neatly cut either in fact I had to call HB to assist with the cutting but I'm not bothered how neat the pieces are as I'm not giving it away to anyone....its staying at home !! :)
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love peppermint bark, it is so delicious isn't it!! Happy Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm tempted to make an impromptu visit on my way past tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummm mmmeee! That peppermint bark looks so scrumptious. I really like the way in which you've packaged them up as gifts, too.

    Gina...shall I say it again...you are a wonder woman!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That made me chuckle, especially the part of the cook feeling rather sick - I know that feeling well. Of course now you will be having many impromptu visits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, it's so yummy. I made a smallish batch to give to a friend which she demolished just about on the spot. I overdosed on leftover marzipan after a cake decorating session last night. Not recommended for a good night's sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peppermint bark looks amazing. I need to get my kids making (for me!). I have very fond memories of making sweets as a girl, peppermint creams and marzipan fruits. Whether anyone has fond memories of eating them, I don't know. Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh yum. does it taste as good as it looks Gina?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.