Sunday 21 December 2014

Day Twenty One :: A Jungle

Well I got the Christmas cake baked... Although it is a little overdone as I forgot to check it during the Strictly Come Dancing final but I doubt anyone will notice. I also finished clearing the spare bedroom yesterday...


This particular room is a lovely big room at the front of the house and Sam moved into it when he was about eight... Almost twenty two years ago. He was crazy about animals, in particular gorillas and so I painted his room to look like a jungle... Floor to ceiling vegetation and animals that would  never be see in such close proximity to each other in reality.


Despite numerous suggestions that perhaps we should paint over it as he got older he always resisted. Two years ago he moved out but he is in such a small space now that most of his "stuff" stayed at home... And boy does he have a lot of stuff... Especially books!




So my good intentions to redecorate never materialised and I have tended to shut the door on it all. But yesterday I actually managed to sort out the stuff into manageable chunks and tidy piles... Necessary for my Mum to be able to get in the room, never mind sleep in it over Christmas. And now that it is tidy and clean I am determined it will get a coat of paint and a re-vamp in the new year.





It will be sad to see the animals go but time to move on I think. I just won't tell Sam until the deed is done!

 
Tempted to leave the salamander on the door frame though!

13 comments:

  1. Take lots of big photos before you paint - now that the room is presentable for Mum. Then upload them to a photo site and have a book printed. Lots are offering Christmas discounts. It would make a nice present and documentation of his old digs to show his kids someday.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fabulous pictures you painted. Definitely leave the salamander over the door!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes leave the salamander, he looks great perched on top of the door frame. :)
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second the photo book idea. I'm increasingly doing these to record special times, and somehow all family members look at them more than we did the hundreds of digital images.

    Fantastic painting, he was a lucky lad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous room! Funny how kids move out and leave all their stuff behind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love yarn goddess's suggestion - I was going to say take lots of photos, but the idea of making them into a book for posterity is genius- as is your artwork, by the way x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What an amazing room. I think you should definitely leave the salamander as a reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand your son's 'need' for too many books - I'm getting three more for Christmas! Yarngoddess's idea is the perfect solution. It would be such a shame to lose sight of your wonderful paintings. Your mother will think she is on a jungle holiday though you might have to turn the heating up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a shame to lose those images but I can understand your reasoning. I think Yarngoddess has the right idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think that I could bear to paint over them, but I understand the need to move on with things. You could paper over them and then in the future some historian can come and uncover them again! Or just do the sensible thing as suggested above and take photos and make something of them! They are wonderful paintings and I can imagine that any child would love to grow up with a bedroom like this! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gina, I so love the look of this jungle room! Please do follow the suggestion of yarngoddess. I would also let your son know of your plans.

    Your paintings of the animals are fabulous, and each one is clearly friendly. Perfect surroundings for a good night's rest.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is amazing! My vote goes to leave it alone!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.