Saturday 20 December 2014

Day Twenty :: A Cake

Can't stop... Mild panic starting to set in as I attempt to make a Christmas Cake, write a blog post and compile lists whilst at the same time clearing and cleaning bedrooms ready for visiting family next week... In particular the bedroom of son number two who left home two years ago. Probably should have cleared it two years ago but it didn't seem so urgent then.


Back to that cake... Mary Berry says to soak the fruit for three days... She's having a laugh... Mine will get three hours and go in the oven this evening. Marzipan tomorrow, icing on Monday... Sorted! Who says I'm not organised.

Probably should try to concentrate on one thing at a time though... I was in the middle of doing something else when I sat down to write this and now I've forgotten what it was. Ah yes... that bedroom...

12 comments:

  1. It's called multi-tasking and we women are supposed to good at it!!! Good luck with it all. Suzy xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you get it all done! I am sure that you will. Have a swig of the brandy if not - or in any case!! Happy Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just crashed for a blog-break after a busy day of household chores. Drink the booze the fruit should have been soaking in and you'll have the energy to get everything done in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am spending the day blitzing our spare room tomorrow for my Mum's stay next week. It currently has an old double mattress in it and no curtains, it's going to be a busy day :)
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Probably too late now, but put fruit in booze, put both in microwave, zap three seconds - all done, no need to soak for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The three day cake will be fine... mine was :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stop? No, not allowed to stop! I'm just off to soak my fruit in alcohol, as it were...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have some of that brandy Gina, it will see you through and if not you'll be past caring!! (hic) ;)
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It won't help you, but my shopping is done, and wrapped, I've finished my tartan Christmas frock, and I've iced my cake (a bought cake, obviously). Now who's the domestic goddess? xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep up the good work Gina. And remember, it's not about tidy bedrooms, it's about enjoying family. I haven't made Christmas cake for a long time; many in the family don't like dried fruit. You will hate me for this, but when I did make it, it was usually in the tin, 'ripening' after Labour Weekend (the last Monday in October). I will be making salads, pavlova with strawberries and trifle. Different hemisphere! Happy Christmas Gina. May it be an especially blessed one for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Believe me, Gina, those quickly forgotten chores will not forget you. They have a way to giving you a reminder of their existence.

    That cake sound so delicious. Oranges. Marzipan. and more. It will be a grand success.

    I am working this weekend, sort of helping other laster minute folks to finish off their Christmas lists. Lots of gift boxes and gift certificates for easy returns/exchanges. Staying calm is an acquired skill during weeks like this.

    So far, so good.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure it'll taste wonderful whatever!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.