Thursday 4 December 2014

Day Four : : The Year in Books

I really enjoyed my November choice for The Year in Books.
"We are all Completely Beside Ourselves" is written with a quirky style that I found funny and engaging. I loved the story but can't really say much about it other than it is about sibling love and rivalry, without giving too much away.
 
 
I've also read "The Wrong Boy" by Willy Russell. I think Willy Russell's plays are brilliant but for most of the time I was reading this book about Raymond Marks " a normal boy from a normal home" I found it really irritating. Funny yes, hilarious at times, but repetitive, long winded and most of all irritating. However, by the time I got to the end I found I was really engrossed in the story and cared about what happened.
 
 
One passage that really stuck with me was advice given to Raymond by his grandmother Vera. She tells him how at times we all would like to be someone else or live different lives but it's not possible. So we just have to get on with being the best version of ourselves we can possibly be. How true!
 
My choice for December is "Love, Nina - \despatches from Family Life" by Nina Stibbe which I've had on my Kindle for quite a while. I'm thinking it will be an easy read for a busy month.

 
Are you reading anything good this month?
Joining in with Laura at  Circle of Pine Trees for The Year in Books.

10 comments:

  1. I'm not reading anything at the moment and must find myself a good book. These all sound interesting. My problem is that I like to read in bed before going to sleep, but by then I'm already half asleep so it has to be something either riveting or fairly light in content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " we just have to get on with being the best version of ourselves we can possibly be ".....I love that!!
    I'm reading Merry Hall by Beverley Nichols which is about the making of a garden just after the war, told in a hilarious way!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What good advice! I adored 'Love, Nina' and it is indeed a perfect read for the holidays, as you can pick it up and read a letter whenever you have a spare minute--though I liked it so much I read the whole thing in just a few days! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shall finish Extraordinary People tonight, and then I'm going to start We Are All Completely etc. Looking forward to it. Anyway, back to stitching my cracker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just read the book this week about Henry Moore's textile designs and also one about Kurt Jackson, the artist. I could do with some meaty fiction to get my teeth into so I will hop over to the links ans see what others are recommending. I'm waiting for the library to get H for Hawk in but I am way down the waiting list so perhaps I can find another suggestion while I kick my heels! PS In between reading all these posts, I have bought a pair of earrings. Thank you for helping me with my shopping xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have your first title on my Kindle so good to hear you give it a thumbs up. My current book at bedtime is Margaret Forster's 'The Memory Box' which I'm enjoying (she's a favourite of mine). Can also recommend 'The Silent Wife'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't finish any books in November, but I did just finish one that I had been reading on and off for about 3 months. Next year I am trying to read more! Glad that you had fun reading your books, I hope that the choice for December is good too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Love Nina" is a great romp - difficult to put down actually because it is so funny. Strangely though, I was not engaged in the same way at all with Stibbe's recent novel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am re-reading Iain Banks books at the moment. I am not sure why I am so obsessed with his books, but he is a great story teller. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am reading the Goldfinch which I am loving, can't put it down!

    The comment from the Willy Russell book is very true, we would do well to remember that.....

    Enjoy your reading in December

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.