Monday 5 December 2016

Advent 2016 - five

It has been a busy weekend... yes, what's new I hear you say. But it has felt busy even for me. I baked all day Thursday and all day Friday and then when I couldn't stand up any longer I sat stitching on Friday evening. And it was all to make sure I had enough to fill my stall at the annual Christmas Market in our neighbouring Church.


I'm not always keen on craft markets or fairs as they can be such unpredictable beasts but this one is always lovely. I sell enough to make it feel worthwhile and the atmosphere is so warm and friendly. It feels like all the good things about Christmas rolled into one fabulous event. It is a chance to catch up with friends, have a glass of mulled wine and maybe pick up a present or two with a background of carols... and munch on a turkey roll should that be your thing! In the afternoon it was back home to more baking as I had a birthday cake to make plus stocks to replenish...


Because on Sunday I had an Open Day at home selling more of the same and taking orders for Christmas. I did this last year to launch my new business and it was such a huge success I had high hopes for this year. But despite a small but steady stream of loyal friends popping in for a glass of mulled wine and a mince pie it was nothing like 2015.

And I'm now wondering what I'm going to do with all the left over stock, (fifty odd jars of jam for starters) not to mention all the mince pie boxes and mini Christmas cake boards I ordered in. Except I'm too tired to really care!

9 comments:

  1. No wonder you are tired! We've had our Christmas Fair on Saturday and not all stalls did well, I always feel guilty on behalf of the organising PTA but you can't make people buy if they don't want to. Glad you did ok. I am sure Christmas orders will still come in, maybe people are leaving things to the last minute, like I do. Wishing you a more quite week! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, how disappointing after all your hard work...still, as Christina says, there are still several days before Christmas and some people do leave it till the last minute to shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks wonderful. Wish I had known about the open day. Have a great week. Do you still have that cake?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks so inviting and such a shame your open day was less busy than last year's. Any chance you could have a pop-up stall in the run up to the holiday? (I'm probably the last person to offer any suggestions as my only experience is being a grocer's daughter when growing up!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you! The good thing about jam is that it keeps for a good long time. Hope you manage to sell the mince pies :) B

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much would hampers be? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well your jam, boxes and cake boards will all keep. That is the problem with events of this kind, no matter how much you prepare getting people through the doors is completely out of your control sadly. The church one did look lovely though, it sounded very festive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a shame, it all looked so lovely, but as the previous comment says, some of it will keep. Can you freeze the perishables for later use? Mince pies for Easter perhaps!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The church and your stall look lovely. I hope there are lots of last minute shoppers for your remaining stock.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.