Monday 18 December 2017

Advent 2017 :: Day 18

Well the Christmas cards are written and posted. 
I often think that I won't send cards, with all the waste and cost etc but then I weigh up how much I like receiving cards, the joy of actually getting something in the post and connecting with family and friends and it seems worthwhile. And while I was writing them I got to thinking about the lovely Christmas stamps that appear each year, like little miniature artworks


There seems to be a trend in recent years to offer both religious and secular stamps both beautiful in their own right.


And a quick google search turned up lots of beautiful stamps from previous years.
 

 It is too late and I'm too tired (writing this post late yesterday and scheduling it for the morning) to write much more about them...


But I loved seeing this image of King Wenseslas pop up from 1966 because I remember it so vividly... it was the result of a competition I believe and designed by a child but it was also the first year that commemorative Christmas srtamps were issued in the UK.


15 comments:

  1. We have had some beautiful Christmas stamps, haven't we? Like you, I enjoy receiving cards so will have to keep on sending them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember KIng Wenceslas. It was a Blue Peter competition. My best friend had a stamp that had a printing error - the colour had gone over the lines - and we were convinced that this was rare and extremely valuable. Which maybe it was but we wouldn't have known what to do with it and I'm sure it was mislaid many years ago. We're still friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought is was Blue Peter but wasn't sure. I may have even entered the competition!

      Delete
  3. I remember King Wenceslas too!! This years stamps are lovely!
    I too wonder about sending of cards and the waste but I agree it is lovely receiving them and I justify the waste by only buying my cards from animal charities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the Wenceslas stamp too! In fact I can remember having a copy in my stamp album (goodness me I collected stamps then too!!) I think there was a snowman one as well, which I rather preferred at the time.
    Gina, can I just add how much I enjoy reading your blog. This is the first time I have commented, but I really do appreciate everything you write and seeing your amazing projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It is lovely comments like this that make it all worthwhile. Happy Christmas xxx

      Delete
  5. Must admit to feeling more than a little excited when I buy the year's Christmas stamps. Love the tradition of seeking out the address book and sending cards, though I'm now at an age when the list is ever shrinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to collect stamps, many many years ago. I love to receive letters and I quite like writing letters but have a poor track record for card writing... love the Christmas stamps, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes! I remember that stamp too. I'm obviously of a certain age!!Thank you for the trip down memory lane :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love snail mail and always like to get the special Christmas stamps for my cards. I want to echo Lesley Anne and say that I too enjoy your blog and the work that you put into it. I am especially enjoying your Christmas posts...they are keeping me jolly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lynn. Comments like yours make it all worthwhile. Happy Christmas xx

      Delete
  9. You have had some lovely Christmas stamps, as have we in Oz. Sadly I have never kept the stamps so have to rely on my unreliable memory.
    I must confess that I have given up on Christmas cards this year, just getting too hard with my very limited sight - I am making Christmas phoe calls instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember that one too! Every year I cut the Christmas stamps off the envelopes and save them - one day I shall make something out of them, but I don't know what - or when x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this stroll through the Christmas stamps. I especially liked the King Wenceslas stamp, it takes me right back.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.