I wanted to return to the idea of making a cloth but using pieces of silk organdie with metal fragments from drink cans, to keep it very light and ethereal. I tried a small sample and it stitched easily and worked beautifully. I was especially excited when I curved the piece into a cylinder and it made an interesting sculpture. From this I conceived the idea of making several large cylinders that would hang as a group, ideally as something that could be walked through. So I made the following maquette of three cylinders about one third of the proposed size. Despite the sample they were a nightmare to stitch and I've had a week of shredding and breaking threads... and lots of very naughty and very loud swearing! But I have persevered and now I don't like the darn thing! It doesn't hang properly, the cylinders are not round and there is no way I'm going to get it into London on the train.
So I've resorted to a photograph which makes it look a lot better than it is!
However I am pleased with my dress which now has its bodice. This is going to assessment as a photograph too as I'm not taking this on the train either! I still want to work on this before the fashion show so there will be further updates.
I'm not the only person daft enough to knit/crochet plastic bags. If you follow this link there is a very clever lady making the most amazing coral type forms from crochet... including orange Sainsbury's bags.
Have a lovely weekend : )