Tuesday 30 August 2011

Colour Sketchbook :: 7

I took my sketchbook away on holiday.
Up until now we've been working on stencilling, printing etc using images taken from close to home but working in our chosen colour - in my case, red, ignoring the local colour. By local colour, I mean the colour that we actually see e.g. sky is blue, grass is green etc.
So on holiday I took a different approach and I concentrated on the local colour and drew what I could see that was actually red.

I had a fairly limited range of materials - some drawing pencils, some watercolour pencil crayons and a paintbrush, yet I managed to capture some of the different reds ranging from scarlet to pink to magenta that could be seen in the beautiful gardens around our hotel.


These are not particularly skilled drawings but the point is to capture the shapes and the colours as best as possible to allow for further exploration on returning home.


So if you are still working along, take time this week to look around and see what you can actually find around the garden or the house in your chosen colour. And if you really can't see anything, compose a still life to draw. Try a collection of objects such as buttons, fruit, cups... anything you like.


Remermber, don't get bogged down with producing an accurate masterpiece - just think about the colour and the shapes... and fill up the page, go over the edges, have fun!

17 comments:

  1. Lovely images - looks like you had lots of fun working on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful drawings, they look really good.
    I love how you went off the edges also, and how you captured different tones of red/pink!
    Well done :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty geraniums, that would make a lovely fabric. :)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely drawings, as ever, Gina. You have captured the characteristics of each flower so well and they are readily recognisable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are some great drawings. I love the mixed media :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love 'em, they will provide you with much inspiration as the evenings draw in ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sketches really capture the sunshine Gina - just what you need this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sketches are absolutely delightful, Gina! I am horrible at keeping a sketchbook, but I so admire those that do. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, as ever, Gina. You were able to capture so many different flowers with variations in color and intensity. Perhaps, a little walk in my neighborhood might give me a nudge in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Gina! I love that the colrs look so soft and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jill says it all - sunshine in a sketchbook!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your drawings are beautiful I really like the last one .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful drawings Gina, I love the colours.
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had a fabulous holiday and the sketchbook pages look fantastic. I love the idea of going off the edge of the page, fabric or whatever - something I think I'm going to have a go at. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful pages! I love the Bougainvillea.

    I had a great time working into my sketchbook #6 pages. This time, I'm struggling to get started as my garden is totally devoid of anything blue and there was nothing inspiring at the farm shop.

    I'll see what I can do. I quite fancy a blue hydrangea but may have to resort to photos for my sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The sketchbook pages are wonderful! I haven't forgotten about mine by all means and kind of know how I want to move on with it but it's just finding the time now I've found a bit of creativity again x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.