Sunday 7 January 2018

Two Down...

Well that was a good creative start for the first week in January and if I achieve nothing else all year I have at least finished off two projects that have been sitting on my sewing table for the best part of last year.


If I'm honest this one might have been lurking about nearly eighteen months. I made some little stitched portraits back in 2016 ready for my open studio in July. Stewart named them my "Dead Singers"... very tasteful! So continuing the theme I started on Freddie Mercury. But then Open Studios ended and there wasn't very much interest in the ones I had already done so Freddie got cast aside for other things. But in my quest to finish things in 2018 I found him again and now he is complete and mounted in his little frame.


Of course, having finished him I now want to make some more which rather defeats the object of getting stuff finished and out of the way in the first place. Not that it has stopped me... I have Marc Bolan and Jimi Hendrix drawn up ready to stitch!


Another project that has languished on my table for most of last year was this little book cover, started as a sample in one of my classes... ridiculous really as it only took an hour or so to complete.


I can take no credit for the design as it was made to cover the little notebook I carry around in my handbag so I took inspiration from the original cover. As you can see the notebook is rather dogearred and the cover has been taped back on so this little book jacket was desperately needed. I can't imagine why I didn't finish it sooner really.


So that's two projects finished... and another two started. Maybe I'm not doing as well as I thought!
I've also been taking part in an art challenge on Instagram to draw a doodle a day following daily creative prompts. I've not always liked the prompts but so far I've been doing it every day and it has already inspired me to do some other things... but I'll save that for another day because my supper is ready.

I hope your weekend has been a good one too!

10 comments:

  1. Nicely done, love the notebook cover. Well done on the sketch a day, that's a great way to stay creative. A good start to the year I think. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those portraits are wonderful, and I love the little notebook cover. Looking forward to seeing what comes next. I think I may be just about to emerge from my creative hibernation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing Marc Bolan...I was a big fan in the '70's!
    Love the bunnies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like your year is off to a wonderful start Gina. So pleased that your little health scare turned out to be nothing - that's always such a worry! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think as long as you are happy, it doesn't matter how many projects are on the go :-) Love the Freddy Mercury portrait, he is instantly recognisable. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely embroideries and such good likenesses. I love the rabbit notebook cover - simple but so effective. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!! I ADORE these! Can't wait to see Bolan!
    Happy New Year lovelies...you're off to a cracking start! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those stitched portraits! Not surprised you're wanting to make more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent portraits - and the way our 'heros' have been dropping like flies, you are sprint for choice - George Michael, Lemmy, Lou Reed, Tom Petty ......

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.