Saturday 20 January 2018

A Saffron-Orange Bundt Cake

What is this I hear you cry... a post about cake only two days after I tell you I'm cutting back on sugar. But in my defense... this was made last weekend (before I started the new regime), it was a special occasion and I am once again joining in with The Cake Slice Bakers.


It has been a long time since I made a cake with this group but they have kindly let me stay a member. Each month the Cake Slice bakers, a group of bloggers who enjoy baking and eating cake, are offered a selection of recipes from a chosen book for the year. We choose one of the recipes to bake and then on the 20th of the month we blog about it. There are very few rules but the main one is that we have fun trying new recipes and baking cakes.


This year it is slightly different as our book, The Perfect Cake from America's Test Kitchen (I'm imagining this is a bit like our Good Housekeeping Institute in the UK)  hasn't been published yet so we cannot actually see the whole book and we are only given access to the choices for that month. Also we have been asked not to share the recipes on the blog... but I can show you pictures!


I chose to make a Saffron-Orange Bundt cake. It was easy to put together, no complicated techniques and it baked beautifully at the temperature indicated and for the stated time... something that never happened with our last book. It also smelled wonderful as it baked. I think my only gripe was that as with all American books the ingredients are measured in cups and sticks... really... who on earth decided on sticks of butter as a unit of measurement! I dug out my American measuring cups and reweighed everything into grams so I had a recipe I was happy to work with.


I don't think I'm giving too much away if I say there was one unsusal ingredient that I have never added to a cake before and that was turmeric. It was a tiny amount and I can only imagine it was there to enhance the golden colour of the cake as any contribution to the flavour would be minimal. There was however a whole teaspoon of saffron which could make it an expensive cake, but I still have a pot that Joe brought me back from Morocco.


The icing was described as a glaze but for me a glaze is something that lightly coats a surface as with a lemon drizzle cake but this was a thick glace icing. This is not a complaint just an observation as it was delicious and added just the right amount of sweetness.


And the cake? Well it was lovely even if I say so myself... delicately flavoured with just the right amount of orange and saffron, it had a dense even crumb a little bit like a Madiera cake. I was worried it might be a little dry but it was perfectly moist and very well received by everyone last weekend. We happened to have Stewart's son James and his wife Elizabeth staying with us for a couple of days en route from Australia before they started the next stage of their adventure in Cape Town and as it was James's birthday on Monday it was a good excuse for a cake.


You can see what the other bakers have made by following the link:

   
   


18 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful Gina....and turmeric is good for you so that cancels out the sugar..right?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious Gina ..and so pretty. I think anything baked in a bundt tin always seems extra special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. I have another one with a fancier design but think that needs an unglazed cake to show it off.

      Delete
  3. Even though I am not thinking about cake at the moment that does look delicious and very attractive - and my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks lovely, Gina - right choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back Gina! Excited to have you bake with us again!
    Your cake baked up beautiful indeed! Love the split/crack on the top of the baked cake! The glaze on this cake turned out pretty too, love the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to be back baking with you all!

      Delete
  6. Oh I do like the look and sound of that cake........cake is one of my favourite thing So! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for baking again Gina! I made this cake too and oh my goodness I loved it. Although, as a US baker I was grateful for using the cups and sticks this time ha ha! I agree however that the turmeric was mostly for color because the saffron and orange were the big stars of this bake. What a great cake this was!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds delicious. I agree about the sticks of butter though, and awkward things that don't measure well in cups. Makes it all very tricky. Glad everyone enjoyed it. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes. Sticks of butter. Well, I have been here in the UK a long time, but I hadn't been here long when I had to ask my family how much a stick of butter was. I still forget.
    I just asked Google and one wise person says. Butter is typically sold as 4 sticks to a pound, so one stick weighs 4 ounces. If the recipe is in tablespoons, that's 8.
    I better write this down. Ha! I did remember there were 4 sticks in a box - individually wrapped in paper, but couldn't remember what the total amount was for the box.
    I guess you know this now, but hopefully so do I! Early on I started doing measure by weight like in the UK because all my measuring things were in one of the barrels of my stuff which came by ship. My DH had a Marguerite Patten- Step by Step cookery his mum had given him when he was in uni, so I used it to re-learn how to cook. another person photocopied the charts at the back of a Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook. So, it made it easier to work out what was what.
    It is so much easier to weigh the fat on a bit of cling film than to wash out a measuring cup! So, most of my American recipes now have a note of the weight.

    More than you wanted to know. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty cake! Great for a birthday party and beautifully decorated, too. Must try this one as the flavor sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth making... it was lovely and kept well

      Delete
  11. I definitely want to try this cake, and your pictures and description make it even more enticing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely cake and I'll definitely make it again

      Delete
  12. I love the way you garnished your cake it's very pretty. 1 tsp of saffron does sound like a lot. I've used it once before in a cake and used approximately 1/2 tsp.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, your cake looks so yummy. And the turmeric makes it a superfood, right?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.