Thursday 11 January 2018

Doodle a Day



 I think I may have mentioned in my last post that I have been taking part in a Doodle a Day for January following creative prompts on Instagram. I know I have done things like this before... like last summer... and have usually not got further than about a week but I'm trying to stick with it... despite waning enthusiasm over the past day or two... because it has had some knock on effect on other creative endeavours, plus it is a chance to try different techniques and different styles.

  
The prompts for the first nine days were: Happy New Year, Cocktail, Sleep, Penguin, Fringe, Sailor,  Building, Bath and Cloud.... I'm hoping you can work out which is which! That fringe was my Mum's handiwork... it's from an old school photo from when I was about six! Day eight was "Bath" and when I got home at lunchtime that day I discovered Jacob had given Hector a bath. Once I got over the water and hair everywhere I could see the funny side especially as Hector was not very impressed so he became the subject of my drawing that day.



I really enjoyed drawing the little penguins and they have become the subject of an applique with free machine embroidery that I consequently turned into a zipped pouch. I always imagined making zipped bags would be really tricky but they are simple when you know how... so suddenly everything has become a zipped bag! I struck lucky with the lining for this one.


Yesterday's prompt was "Houseplant" which reesulted in two drawings... a little water colour of a Monstera plant...


And some little cactii...


Which also got turned into an applique that will be a bag very soon.


And not content to stop there I made a pencil case sized bag from these appliqued owls.


I still feel as though I am working a little haphazardly, jumping from one thing to the next but I might just amass a little collection of bags for my Etsy shop at this rate.


Meanwhile if you want to see my daily doodles you can follow me on Instagram at

16 comments:

  1. I love those little penguins....I think they would be lovely on decor for a baby boys room!
    Must admit I always avoid zips too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just realised that I have missed a lot of your posts, so I'm a little late in wishing you a happy new year Gina! I am also loving all your doodles and little bags - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... and happy new year to you too. I forget who I have said that to already!

      Delete
  3. You've inspired me. Great doodles and the pouches and appliques look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, so much creativity, you're on a roll I think. The appliqued owls and penguins are fantastic, and I love your Bath picture, brilliant. Keep it up! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your doodles and those little bags. I must get my act together and do another post, especially as I might even have something to include. I am starting on another little book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are doodles - they are lovely drawings, and I love the bags - you ate SOME productive - I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your appliquéd bags, the penguin's expressions are very cheering. Well, so are the owls too :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much talent. Love seeing your creative ideas. The appliqué looks great. Will have to give it a go ! Have a good weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. I would love to see what you do with the appliqué. It is such a fun technique.

      Delete
  9. You can never have enough zip bags. It is funny, I still think they are tricky to make in between making them but they aren't really. Your doodles are so much fun, I particularly like Hector in the bath x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this whole idea, the prompts sound like a fantastic way to jumpstart creativity. Now you are using the art to make the bags it's brilliant! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm enjoying the daily drawing and coming up with different ideas.

      Delete
  11. These are all great! I especially love the penguins.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good article! I think that's right!!! It's nice that the author isn't fixated on appearance and really pointed out the importance of personality!!! Personally for me, relationship is an area for development picbear

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.