Thursday 18 January 2018

A Day to Remember

When I write a blog post I like to try to stick to a theme or to have some semblence of continuity in what I'm writing about, at least that is how it starts out in my head even if it doesn't end up that way. But sometimes something random pops up in my brain (sometimes? Who am I kidding?) and I end up writing about that instead. Which is by way of an explanation as to why a post about a rather splendid day out (I'm coming to it, I promise) starts with a quick mention of a self help book. You may well have already heard of the very handsome Dr Chatterjee as apparently he has appeared on TV, not that I had noticed!


However I did hear him speak on Saturday Live on radio 4 last week and was so impressed with the common sense he was talking that his book seemed to end up in my Amazon shopping cart. And I am just as impressed with the book. His basic premise is that all parts of the body are connected and so we should be looking at the whole body and taking a more rounded approach to treatment of ailments. A lot of it is what we know already (although possibly ignore), like eat more vegetables, drink more water, walk more steps etc. but it is presented as clear easily achievable chunks e.i. small changes in our lifestyles that can make a difference. As someone who often has digestive problems and hardly ever has a decent night's sleep it seems worth trying some of his suggestions.... so I am starting by foregoing my nightly cuppa for a herbal tea, trying to cut out sugar again (it made me feel so much better last year) and all devices/screens are going off by 8.30 pm... no checking messages before I go to bed. I'll be reporting back! He also advocates making time for ourselves to relax and that leads me rather nicely into my lovely day out.


My friend Kim couldn't make it to my birthday party last year so offered to take me out instead. At her suggestion we met in London at a fabulous vegetarian restaurant off Regent's Street, Tibits, where we had a wonderful lunch of the most delicious salads. There was so much choice and such wonderful flavours... see, I'm already taking Dr Chatterjee's advice and feeding my body with five a day. From there we off to the Regent Street Cinema, apparently the birthplace of British cinema.


We arrived to the sound of the organ being played just like in times gone by and were both amazed that the place was absolutely packed in the middle of the day. This historic cinema dates back to 1848 and was the first theatre in the country to show moving pictures. Over the years it was used for various screenings and diferent types of entertainment but it closed to the public in 1980 and became a lecture theatre. In 2015 it was reopened as a cinema, having been restored to its former grandeur. And what better place to see the classic love story "An Affair to Remember". A delicious lunch with a lovely friend followed by an afternoon spent with Cary Grant... definitely fits the bill for taking time out to relax! And as the Regent Street cinema is another 'first' for me, it also means another sixty x sixty ticked off my list... and quite appropriate as it is the sixtieth anniversary of the first screening of the film, released in 1957 when I was born!


Kim and I also managed a quick visit to Anthropologie where I treated myself to this rather gorgeous cup... which made working all day today on tedious admin tasks so much nicer. It's the small pleasures that make all the difference.


Now if you'll excuse me I must go... my laptop/screen watershed is rapidly approaching and I'm going to do some drawing and read a book before bed instead of browsing the internet and checking emails.

16 comments:

  1. I listened to that Doctor on Radio 4 too and thought he made a lot of sense - I'm going to order the book from the library! It sounds like you had a lovely day out x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound advice and a lovely day out. I have just begun to eat more sensibly, cutting down on carbohydrates and eating less meat and more veg. and fruit. It is going quite well and I am not missing my usual servings of bread and potatoes. It is ever more important to look after ourselves in these dark days for the NHS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, a lovely post and yes it's the year to be kind to ourselves. I'm afraid a rather lovely gift of Saint Emilion slipped down oh so easily tonight after a very stressful day. There's always tomorrow to get on with being good! Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a fabulous day out! I am blessed with good sleep (despite terrible sleep hygiene), something I really appreciate during the odd nights that I wake up and mull things over. I hope you find sleep easier with your new routine xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the lifestyle changes. I just try to follow my mum's advice which was everything in moderation (which means I get to eat cake!). That sounds like a fab day with your friend. I watched An Affair To Remember with my aunt when I was but a girl and I bawled my eyes out. Don't think I've stopped since!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cinema looks wonderful and I was brought up on a diet of Cary Grant films, who I love:). A lot of people I know try to avoid caffeine and devices in the evening. Sounds like a good plan for better sleep. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A diet of Cary Grant films... now that sounds like bliss!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like excellent advice. I always feel heaps better when I avoid sugar. Your day out sounds sublime, I do love a Cary Grant movie, and a vegetarian restaurant. All the good stuff, glad you had a good time. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely day out.....gorgeous mug too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like very good advice and I'm glad you had such a lovely day out. Anthropologie is a fab place. I last went about a year ago with lovely daughter and we spent ages browsing all the beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful day you had, it sounds divine.

    I can no longer tolerate milk so have not had a proper cup of tea for ages, instead I drink Pukka Teas mostly the Three Ginger, Turmeric Gold and one other in the ginger range.

    I wish I could do exercises but I am so limited in what I can achieve. I wish you well in your quest for a better regimen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That all sounds like a fabulous day out, we have an old fashioned theatre 'The Penistone Paramount' not too far from us by car. We have seen the ballet there a few times and they do film screenings. I love the way it is like stepping back in time. Your trip sounds similar. The self help book looks good too, I like positive reading like that. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had not heard of Dr Chatterjee, but it all sounds sensible to me. No wifi where I've been staying has definitely contributed to a better night's sleep. Have you tried Pukka's Night Time tea? My pilates teacher recommended it to me and it's been pretty effective at helping me get off to sleep. Good luck with the new regime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not tried that one... not that I usually have trouble falling asleep, I just wake up several times a night and then I'm usually up for good at about 5 am. But I have been better the last few days so maybe something is working.

      Delete
  13. Steve bought that book for the same reason as you. It will be joining my pile of reading material which is still clogged up from Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear - half past one in the morning - and I'm catching up on blog posts.
    Good night.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.