Sunday 1 May 2016

Elvis Has Left the Building!

I really was exhausted last week wasn't I... A whole week has gone past and I haven't even thought about my blog. Perhaps I am destined to churn out blogposts just once a week on Sunday evenings from the comfort of my sofa, feet up and glass of wine to hand... but not every Sunday as sometimes we go out and play bingo at the pub, which is a whole other story. So rock 'n' roll, I know. But I digress...


After the hectic time I had last weekend I took things slowly this week. I knew I had a rather important cake to make for a special friend. She wanted a cake for a joint birthday celebration... for a 70 year old Elvis fan and a 30 year old into D.I.Y. Well luckily I like a challenge!


  I opted for Elvis popping out of a two tier cake doing a bit of painting and decorating


I planned it out to the very last detail and then paced myself all week to get it done without any last minute panic... which was just as well when my first attempt at "Elvis" caused rather a lot of panic as he slumped down into a rather squashed, sad and fat looking character... too fat even for Elvis's latter years!


But by taking things slowly and having plenty of rest it was all done and ready for collection on Friday. The birthday celebrations are tomorrow so fingers crossed they like my interpretation. And better still, that they like the cake inside!


Happy birthday Heather and Ed!


And in other news, I'd like you to meet the latest member of our family... we almost called him Elvis.

But this is Hector, who will be coming to live with us in two weeks time when he is old enough to leave his mum.


I know, don't say a word... broken ankle, new puppy, still bonkers! But we've been more than three years without a dog, we miss Barley and when these puppies came along the time felt right. It's going to mean all sorts of arrangements to fit in with the baking business involving pens and gates but it will be worth it... he's gorgeous!

27 comments:

  1. The cake is a masterpiece! And what a gorgeous little puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cake.What breed of dog is he?Is he going to be big?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what to say, the puppy looks gorgeous, and I wouldn't be without a dog but I do hope you are off the crutches by the time he comes. Not an Elvis fan but the cake looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gina, your very own interpretation of Bonkers is rather wonderful! There is so much joy in what you embrace.

    The Elvis cake is a wonder...I have never seen anything quite like it. Bravo!

    That cuddly young puppy is so adorable. Hector is guaranteed to be a much loved family member. He is sure to be an excellent kitchen assistant, ready to help with any spills.

    Happy May Day. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's gorgeous - hope he likes cake! Oh and the cake is brilliant - as always x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally, someone else to clean your floor of baking crumbs!! What a sweetheart, but how big is he going to be? Is he a lab?

    The cake is amazing! I love the little nails/tacks and saw etc around the edge and all that drippy paint. And poor Elvis got a little paint in his hair (such beautiful hair!). You are amazing with the cake ideas, and I love that someone tells you what they like and you come up with the perfect interpretation. They'll love it! Rock on!!

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab cake! Always impressed with how you think these things up. And he's huge! What is he? Welcome back to the doggy world too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cake will be the star of the party for sure!

    It's going to be fun in Hector's House :-) I suspect he'll like snuggling with you on the sofa when you need a rest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cake is a masterpiece, how could they not love it?
    And as for Hector, no I would not be able to resist either. Now get that foot up, lots of dog walking in your future :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hector looks good enough to eat! I'm sure he will bring you much pleasure and drive you bonkers. The cake is amazing. B x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've gone all gooey looking at your beautiful puppy! He's beautiful and he'll keep you very busy. What an amazing cake! I'm sure it's far from gooey and your friend will be delighted! GBBO eat your heart out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought that amazing cake was going to be the main feature but then I saw Hector. Oh! I would love a cuddle - he looks so gorgeous.
    Glad Elvis worked out in the end - it was an inspired design and I love all the DIY tools, dripping paint and the little paint pot. I'm sure the cake will be much appreciated and talked about for a long time.
    Quiet week this week?!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great cake - and what a lovely puppy. Green with envy here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Elvis ,I made an Elvis doll for a swap a few years ago.
    My son has a black Lab named Hector he is a sweetheart, if a little bit dim ! Your Hector looks lovely and he is a lucky boy to have found you. I can't wait to all about the adventures of "Hector & Gina"

    ReplyDelete
  15. A Puppy!!! He's adorable! What fun you're going to have! I love his name too. And that cake! Wow Gina! It's amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Elvis cake is amazing and Hector looks adorable. What fun you are going to have!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you're a bit more mobile in time for the arrival of Hector - and remember to keep those wonderful cakes out of his reach!
    Speaking of which, that was certainly a tall order for your baking but it looks really great. Hope they like it.
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hector is adorable! The cake is lovely too, but I have to say that Hector is the star of this post, and I hope will star in many more to come. Look after yourself, you're going to need lots of energy when he arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really fabulous cake!!! Hector is adorable!! I will enjoy seeing his blog appearances and I am sure that you will love living with him and he with you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Elvis with a paint brush, this surely is the coolest cake decoration I have ever seen. You are a wonderful artist. Hector is very very cute, I bet you can't wait for him to be old enough to come home with you. I love having a dog, always loving, always happy to see you. Have a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. The cake is incredible and I agree with you, Hector is gorgeous. Life with a young puppy will be interesting????? Lots of ways to waste time coming up. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous cake! It almost seems a shame to cut it. And what an adorable puppy - life is probably going to be busy from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gosh that looks like such a lot of hard work.... the cake or the puppy, take your pick, but then you are a devil for punishment! Keep resting that ankle!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well done on the amazing cake and combining the recipients' interests (wonder if Elvis and knitting would have worked?!). What a cute pup. Reminds me of baby Boo and how he never seemed to stop widdling!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow Gina that cake is amazing and genius to depict Elvis as a handyman!lol! Hector was the name we might have called our youngest daughter if she had been a boy. He's so sweet! I'm sure he'll speed your recovery with his cuteness.
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing cake and beautiful, adorable puppy Hector to add to the fun! X

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.