Friday 1 January 2016

In With the New...

 On the first day of this brand new year, feeling somewhat jaded after only four hours of sleep and a glass or two more than was sensible last night, I decided that rather than look forward with resolutions, I would start with a bit of reflection on the past year. So what follows is totally self indulgent, somewhat photo heavy and you will be entirely forgiven for jumping to the end or skipping this post entirely!

There were definitely less blog posts in 2015, a year that started in January with me recognising that life was rather bonkers most of the time and so I decided that there needed to be less BONKERS and more ENJOY in my life. Not entirely sure I achieved that but hey ho... there is always this year.

Life continued at the usual crazy pace in February but I did learn a new skill - egg tempera painting. I was full of ideas of future paintings... did I do them? Did I heck... but like I say, there is always this year... or not as the case may be!

By March I was spending time in the garden and the sight of my pots planted up with spring flowers is rather heartening... after all March is only two months away!

In April I started walking with a passion, and although I never did realise my ambition to walk the coast to coast I have kept up my walking for most of the year, just letting it slip during the past month. Today however I did a four mile walk before lunch, so not a bad start to the year.

In May I had these pieces of work in the Prism exhibition in Hoxton, where I even sold one of the bigger pieces. They are currently on show at Art Van Go... after which no doubt they will be confined to the back of a cupboard somewhere.

June was eventful on many levels. My City and Guilds students finished their two year course and all passed with flying colours and that same weekend we celebrated the marriage of my stepson James and his lovely wife Elizabeth.

For me it was also the beginning of a period of reflection where many months of soul searching came to a head and I knew there needed to be changes in my life... actual changes, not just thinking about them!

July is always Open Studios month and in 2015 I included a new venture in the form of a pop up cafe. It looked very pretty even if it wasn't a runaway success!

In August we actually had our first proper holiday in several years when we spent a blissful week in Tuscany.

In September we had afternoon tea at The Ritz, we climbed over the top of the O2 and it was also the month when I took the decision to turn my passion for baking into a business... the change had begun!

October... and I returned to Amateur Dramatics with a role in 'Allo 'Allo as "Michelle of the Resistance"... a distraction whilst our kitchen was being refitted

Then in November, with the completion of our new kitchen the baking business "Apricot & Fig" was actually launched... and this Chocolate and Peanut butter cake was my first proper order (there had been a trial run the previous month!).

And so to December which was all about baking and very little else, leaving me tired but happy!

We spent the last night of the year at home... Stewart, Mum and me, joined by four friends. We had a long leisurely meal, played silly games, drank too much wine and watched fireworks on the telly to see in the new year.



 And if you are still with me after this self indulgent ramble may I wish you all very happy and healthy 2016 with time to do the things you love!

I'm not sure what the year may hold for us but there will definitely be books, blogging, walking, embroidery, family and friends... and plenty of cake!

19 comments:

  1. Happy New Year - hope it is a really successful one for you. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a full year it was for you. All the best in 2016 to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, Gina. I'm sure the baking will be a great success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't go far wrong when you have cake. Happy New Year Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best for 2016! I hope that Apricot & Fig goes well, it looks as though it is off to a great start!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new year Gina, I must admit the sight of those primroses does look good!!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year enjoy all that it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And a Happy New Year to you too. All the best with following your dreams

    I enjoyed the ramble through your year and I definitely feel inspired. I want to make sure there are plenty of crafty type items made this year. I need to get organised and that is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the ramble through 2015. I hope 2016 is a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a sumptuous array of goodies to start off your business. It sounds as if you all had a lovely New Year's Eve - lots of fun. I expect you will pack 2016 full of all kinds of activities - I shall relax and enjoy reading about them all! Have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds just about perfect! Happy New Year to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely ramble through 2015, Gina. Your cakes look wonderful and I wish you every success with your business, you deserve it, and I love that baking cakes makes you happy. Result! Happy New Year. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. And a happy new year to you too too, Gina. A bit more pro action for me too, without too much cake though! Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy new year. You certainly had an eventful year in 2015. Wishing you all the best for 2016 and continued success for Apricot and Fig x

    ReplyDelete
  15. you certainly have had a busy year Gina but the outcome looks very productive! May Apricot and Fig go from strength to strength in 2016. PS - I don't think I ever mentioned, my son ended up going to Glos Uni to do a popular music degree. Hope Jacob is getting on well with his course....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year Gina - may 2016 be a wonderful year for you 😄

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gina, I'd like to thank you for continuing to blog about the things that you do, I certainly appreciate it.

    Continued success to you in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a busy year you have had. Love the photo of you on stage, and the one of your son and his wife, they look a handsome couple, I loge the bride's dress. Have a great 2016! X

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have a wonderful 2016 Gina.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.