Monday 27 October 2014

Fresh Air and Food

In the past two and a half years, for various reasons too mundane to bore you with, we have managed a total of only three days holiday, when we went to Bruges to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary. So it was with great excitment that we ventured on a two hour drive north to Holt on the north Norfolk coast on Friday, to stay at Blackbird cottage for three nights.
 
 
It was such a beautiful, cosy and well equiped cottage I think I could have quite happily moved in!

 
We spent our days outdoors walking... from Cley to Salthouse and back to Blakeney

 
mostly along beautiful deserted beaches in warm October sunshine.

 
Miles and miles of shingle and sand...

 
We also walked around the grounds of Holkham Hall where we saw the most maginicent deer herds.

 
And after all that walking, we worked up amazing appetites! We had fabulous local fish, cheese and bread... not to mention some amazing Norfolk ice cream but probably my favourite meal was at Wiveton Hall Cafe.
 
 
 After a morning in the fresh air we sat outside on the jolly painted furniture where we ate the most fabulous crab sandwiches  accompanied by homemade lemonade... it was up there with one of my best meals ever!

 
We also had some wonderful cake that I didn't photograph but you can be sure that once I work out how to recreate the amazing sticky pear and ginger cake I will share the recipe with you!
 
We've come home happy and refreshed and determined to make time for more long weekends away. We've no great desire to travel to anywhere hot or exotic but the chance for a few days of fresh air, good food and a comfortable cottage where we can come back to rest, read and drink a glass of wine or two... that will do the trick!

30 comments:

  1. What a lovely little cottage and those vast skies and almost empty beaches look wonderful. I'm full of supper but that sandwich makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an idyllic getaway. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All our favourite places!! Glad you had a lovely time. L Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. We visited that area this summer for the first time. Love it and can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds absolutely marvellous. There's nothing like a break in the fresh sea air to recharge the batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were in Norfolk earlier in the month - great food, but we had awful weather. We too had lovely relaxing time though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that all sounds rather lovely, I love those skies! :)
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have fond memories of our holiday in Norfolk but the distance makes it impossible for a short break. Driving for just two hours and arriving here seems like heaven and the effects of this break are easy to pick up in the way you've written about it Gina. You seem relaxed and energised at the same time by the experience and I'm not surprised as it looks fabulous. I think this time out was overdue for you this year. Keep up with your resolution to try breaks away and do share that recipe when you crack it - sticky pear and ginger cake sounds like it will stick to the roof of my mouth.... I think I'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like the perfect break to restore your energy. And so lucky with the weather too!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful! Holt and the surrounding area is beautiful. A few weeks ago we went for the day to Holkham beach.It was glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you had those much-needed few days away. And such a wonderful place to go. I was there some years ago for a handweaving weekend workshop, and absolutely loved it. You've reminded me that I always meant to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The best crab sandwich I ever had was at the pub in Saklthouses, served with a crisp Cabernet Sauvignon. Holt is a favourite of ours too; so glad that you managed to get away.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful Gina. A patch of brightness to remember through the Winter. I think that area is so lovely and it looks like you both made the most of it.As for te crab..I love it but we never ate at Wiverton Hall because lunchtimes are too near breakfast when you're in a B&B. A cottage is a much better idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. You have no desire to travel to anywhere hot and exotic because ... you live in the best place there is! You're SO lucky -- all the little long-weekend adventures at your fingertips. {Sigh}

    Looks like you had a wonderful time -- as expected from such a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It makes such a difference just getting away for a few days. Sound idyllic

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the North Norfolk coast - what great weather you had :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. As you have seen from my blog, we love Norfolk. Haven't seen much of the North Coast yet though. As for holidays, they are a must. But it's probably my age but as I get older I like them shorter & also love coming home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It all looks really beautiful, lovely to see Stuart looking so well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks really beautiful there. So many wonderful places to explore in this country that there is little need to go further afield

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks like the perfect getaway!

    We're in a similar position re. getaways, our quick trip to the wilds of Wales in September being all we've managed in some time. And we returned saying the same as you ... we should do that more often.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are all local to us and we've done that walk many times in all weathers. We even went to Bruges for an anniversary a few years ago! I always want to move in to holiday cottages too! XCathy

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely sounding little holiday! We are all going away next weekend for our 20th anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. that sounds like a wonderful recipe for a holiday! So glad you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh how wonderful--all my very favorite places! So glad you had such a nice (and well-deserved) break! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds like a perfect getaway weekend! I wish I could do the same. I think you're quite lucky to be able to travel anywhere through UK for a weekend! No airfare, just a quick trip by car or train. I'm jealous of course :) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  26. So lovely to read about your holiday Gina, it sounds like a perfectly relaxing break. I love north Norfolk (we've stayed in the area a few times) and it's lovely to see your pictures of some familiar places. The lunch does sound very special and I'm feeling hungry all over again!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.