Sunday 4 December 2011

Day :: Four

I think a lot of these advent posts might be about food.
For me the making and sharing of food with family and friends is something special and a mark of celebration. And Christmas is wonderful time for bringing friends together and sharing food.


Don't get me wrong... I hate the excess that can be associated with this time of year. It is a mystery to me why supermarkets have "seasonal" isles laden with tins of chocolates, barrels of biscuits, packets of nuts, crisps and other unecessary items. Why on earth we should need all these additional, extra large containers of food at a time when we already have plenty, much of which will go to waste... in our dustbins and on our waistlines... I will never understand. It feels obscene when so many in the world go hungry. But taking the time to cook something special to share with friends is a real pleasure for me.


And this pomegranate and clementine pavlova was the perfect example of food to share...
most of all because it meant we spent a lovely evening with some very special friends.

12 comments:

  1. I'd better comment quick to make up for my last comment! This looks delicious Gina, what a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing at Jill's previous comment and thinking that was a glorious pavlova! I totally agree about the obscene levels of unneccessary food in the supermarkets at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do so agree with you about the excess of food in Supermarkets. They can't possibly sell it all - our local ones never seem to have empty shelves and the waste bins are well hidden out of sight of the public.
    Your pavlova looks fantastic - worthy of Delia or Nigella. Lucky family and guests.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina, your pavlova wreath is as festive as the one made of greenery by your mom.

    Your family is definitely getting into the season.

    The market where I do most of my food shopping is a very busy place, known for its vast arrays of fresh produce. I know that the owners have some sort of arrangement with some local food banks and donate left over food on a regular basis. I think that means that we have a good neighbor.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pavlova looks beautiful, very seasonal! I agree about the amount of excess, a friend told me recently she's purchased 3 large tins of sweets as they were on offer. I refuse to buy large tins of sweets not only at Christmas but any time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree sharing food with friends is great!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seasonal pavlovas. I surprised the hoards a couple years ago with a clementine one (laced with Cointreau!) and was a huge success. Lorraine Pascal has a lovely spiced autumnal one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you, so many feel it's the amount they spend that make Christmas special. You have the right attitude. Thank you for reminding us all about the true spirit of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks fab Gina. what an interesting combination. I'm completely with you on the food excess. It's beginning to disgust me more and more as the year's go by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh. love the colours. almost as good as eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to say that that's the naughtiest pudding I've seen in a long time, but look at all that fruit - at least two of your five a day per portion!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pavlova looks delicious!!!! I totally agree with you about the waste of food. Too much emphasis is made on the material side of
    Christmas instead of what its really all abut.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.