Sunday 11 December 2011

Day :: Eleven

Joe has been away travelling for over 18 months now. Since February 2010 he has been in New Zealand where he had first hand experience of the Christchurch earthquake, has worked for several months in an orchard where he was allowed to wield a chain saw, (I can't tell you how much that terrified me), has jumped out of an aeroplane, (less scary than the chain saw) has seen several rugby world cup matches and has now finally settled in Auckland.


Although this photograph was taken in our summer it seems a suitably wintery photo for December, although of course he is currently enjoying the sunshine. He's planning to spend Christmas and New Year in Sydney, before returning to New Zealand. After that... who knows... he mentioned going back to Asia. But what ever he decides it seems unlikely that I'll see him soon.


I miss him every day... but some days more than others. Today was one of those days.

12 comments:

  1. Lovely to see the photos of Joe. Yes, it's hard with a son (or daughter) so far away. I'm lucky that Will is coming home for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only try to imagine how you feel Gina as my son and his family live only a few hundred yards away. Even so, I don't see them often as they are all so busy. But just to know he is near is nice. When he was younger he was away from home for many years on active service in various hotspots around the world, but you have to let them go, don't you? At least he looks very well and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful happy photographs. I hope they give you the strength to get through difficult days like today.

    He sounds like he's having a whale of a time.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. just look at that smile! what a gift to you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least he is well and happy. I'm sure he's missing all of you and some home comforts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely pics Gina. I loved the one of Joe and his mates all stuffed into that set of cupboards. I'm still lucky enough to have my son at home and I can only imagine how much you miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe Gina it must be hard for you sometimes. I see my boy every weekend but I just hate it when something comes up and that doesn't happen. To go for so long without seeing Joe has to be difficult for you. Sending you a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear what you are saying, Gina, and I know those days too. It is hard to be the mother of an adventurous son.

    Thank you to Heather - your comment made me pause because however much I miss George at least he is not in active service - my heart goes out to the families who will be thinking of their sons and daughters in Afghanistan this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some days are like that when loved ones are far away. But you are a good Mother to support him in his plans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big hugs Gina xx The hardest thing is to let a loved one go and do their thing. Think of all that cake he's missing ;-)

    The word verificationfor this comment is knitzati ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. He will be missing you too, you know.....

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.