Sunday 15 March 2020

Troubling Times

I do hope you are all staying safe in these difficult times. I am sure I am not alone in finding it difficult to sift through the masses of sometimes conflicting advice, plus lack of trust in our government in the UK is not helping, as I really don't believe they know what they are doing. Personally I am quite happy staying at home except for work and grocery shopping (assuming the hoarders have left us anything to buy) but trying to convince my 85 year old mother this is what she should be doing is another matter! If I don't take her out I know she will just get herself a taxi so I would rather it was me driving her to the shops, but then I feel complicit in putting her at risk. I think the sooner we are all told to stay home the easier it will be.

At least I won't be bored if we get put in lock-down... just think of all those unfinished and yet to be started projects. Recently I signed up for a twelve week art program called cvp so I know there will also be plenty of painting to do in the weeks ahead. For the first couple of weeks we have been creating Inspiration boards and looking at our motivation and desires etc. so there's not been any painting yet. So I decided I would tidy up my studio in an effort to clear some space for when the painting starts but in doing so I discovered a basket of my old Lino printing tools along with a couple of pieces of Lino.


An hour or so later I had made several prints and rather than tidy up my studio I had also created more mess... I'm good at that! But I did have fun.


So much fun, that the following day I went back and made another Lino cut, this time basing it on one of my book jacket embroideries.


Today, having run out of Lino I made a small stamp from a sheet of foam and made another little bird print. Don't ask me why I decided to go with the Robin Colouring because I don't know. However what I do know is, that come next Christmas when I decide to make Christmas cards I won't have a clue where I have put this stamp, assuming I even remember making it. 
And the studio has still not been tidied up!


As well as plenty of creative pursuits to keep me busy I also have this ever growing pile of books beside my bed. I think I would quite like some enforced reading time. I've been enjoying the Ruth Galloway novels by Elly Griffiths but I'm trying to alternate them with other books for a bit of variety. I'm also trying not to buy any new books so my reading matter does tend to depend on what I can find in charity shops, borrow from other people or pick up from our village book exchange... although that's probably not a safe activity any more! At the moment I am ready Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. It has the feeling of The Great Gatsby but far more enjoyable in my opinion. I loved his only other book A Gentleman in Moscow too and the story of Count Rostov who is placed under house arrest, unable to leave his hotel is probably rather apt for the circumstances we currently find ourselves. From Goodreads: "Unexpectedly, his reduced circumstances provide him entry into a much larger world of emotional discovery." I might just have to read it again.


So yes, there are difficult times ahead for all of us I think, wherever we live, but looking on the bright side not only will I get lots of painting, knitting, sewing, gardening and reading done... I might actually have time to write here more often because I do miss it when I don't!

What are your lock down plans?

11 comments:

  1. Probably the same as yours Gina ... except for the painting!!
    Just wish they'd get on with it instead of dragging their feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be reading. This evening we were told that our schools will be closed from Wednesday, for a slightly longer holiday.

    It is really hard to explain to 'the elderly' who look shocked, hurt and offended when you step back and launch into But they've just said NO hand shaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect any lock down will be filled with looking after an energetic 3 year old once the nurse rus and schools are closed, like lots of other grandparents. Bang goes any idea of gentle creativity and indulgent reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In our 80's, probably not a lot different to our normal days although I am signed up for a free on line course. Maybe more lino cutting. Food shopping in person may have to go and on line explored, although I do like to see what I am buying. All a bit day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your prints are delightful Gina. Maybe you could stock them in your Etsy shop.

    I am pragmatic, whatever comes our way, we'll deal with it. It is difficult to say now what measures are the right ones and I don't think there is a one fits all strategy that works with all societies. I hope you'll be able to manage your anxiety by reading and creating beautiful art. I am most worried about my mum, who does not cope well with being told what she can or cannot do and is on her own...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My university closed to students and staff are encouraged to work from home, only I already do that, so I don't escape :D We closed our alpaca farm to visitors though, various reasons but thought it was prudent

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m feeling a bit dazed by it all right now! Once my daughter's back from uni tomorrow we'll pull up the drawbridge. I’ve had lots of cancellations, and anticipating more, so I’m not sure what to now. Read through my matching bedside tower of books? Get on with the myriad half-started projects? Fiddle about with a new website?! It's just as well us creative types always have something to be getting on with, it’s just the choosing that’s difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here in New Zealand, I think we are rather lucky - for once - for the distance between our country and the rest of the world. We are now at 20 cases and I rather think that city schools will be closed soon. I had to go into the city this morning and the train was definitely not as crowded as usual at that time of day.
    What shall I do if we go into self isolation? Like others commenting here - there are books I shall read, projects to finish, writing to be done, projects I mayy actually get around to starting! I have no family in the city but do have friends, so am not too worried. If anyone else needs help, I am happy to give it. Being alone won't be such a big deal - I am used to it!
    It may a rough, difficult ride but it may bring unexpected blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a bit of displacement activity. Your Lino prints are lovely. I am looking forward to spending time the in the garden, knitting and sewing. We also plan to go on lots of long walks into the hopefully empty countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you're keeping good and busy with your books and art! Aren't we lucky that we have stashes to keep us occupied? I have enough good books on the shelves to last a realllly long time -- not to mention a fabric stash that would supply a few lifetimes. I'm with you -- I think this will get worse before it gets better -- I'm planning to bury my head in hobbies and hope when I surface the damage won't be too great. A girl can dream anyway .....

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.