Sunday 8 March 2020

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Busy schedules, changes of plans and weekends with no trains and replacement buses have meant that I've not managed to see Joe (son no. 3) since Christmas and not only that I've not actually seen his flat, where he has been living since last September. But today the planets aligned and we found a day where we were both free and the trains were running normally so we met up in North London for the day.

Having lived in Stoke Newington, gone to school in Stamford Hill, worked in Wood Green and frequently spent nights out in around Finsbury Park when I was growing up, it was like a trip back in time. We started from Finsbury Park with a walk across the park, where I immediately recalled going boating on the lake. Joe wasn't sure there was even a lake never mind boats but sure enough, there it was! It started to rain so our first stop was back to Joe's flat for a cuppa and to dry off. Joe lives in an upstairs flat in a typical north London terrace house and as we walked upstairs it felt so familiar. The smell of the house was just like my grandmother's, difficult to describe but it was a woody, 'old' smell that seems more to do with the fabric of the house than anything in it. After a quick cuppa we ventured out onto Green Lanes where there were a plethora of Turkish restaurants to choose from although we opted for some amazing salads at a lovely little coffee shop.

After lunch Joe suggested a walk or a bus to some of the places I remembered. The rain had stopped so we decided to walk and head down Green Lanes to Clissold Park. By the time we arrived it was pouring!


Not to be deterred by a spot of rain we crossed the park to Newington Green, where I have memories of going for school swimming lessons.


From there we headed down Church Street towards Stoke Newington. I lived here very briefly when I was about 10-11 years old and attended the William Patten junior school which was every bit as grim as I remembered! Our playground was actually on the roof! I was in Miss Pinkington's class and I probably have a photo somewhere if I could be bothered to look.


We lived in a rather ghastly top floor flat above a greengrocers shop, now the Anglo Spice Grill... one bedroom, tiny kitchen, no bathroom and just one shared toilet with the flat below. My brother and I shared a bedroom and my Mum and Dad slept on a sofa bed in the living room. We washed at the kitchen sink and once a week we went to my uncle's flat in Dalston for a bath.... don't worry, I'm not going to go all Monty Python on you! We weren't there for very long but I do remember watching the  first moon landing whilst we lived there and singing The Beatles song Obladi Oblada so I guess it was 1968-69. Isn't it strange the things you remember!


A surprise memory was walking past Abney Park Cemetery. There is something quite special about urban cemeteries like this one that feels unique to London. Crowded, overgrown and steeped with history they evoke an atmosphere of times gone by.


From Stoke Newington we made our way on to Stamford Hill, where I remembered my grandmother working at the local Sainsburys... in those days it was a shop with beautiful separate display counters for meats, cheeses and groceries and lovely tiled walls and floors, nothing like today's supermarkets. Today the same store occupies the site that used to be cinema where I remember going to Saturday morning pictures! A little way up the road we passed my secondary school, for which I have mixed memories many of which involve bunking off to miss going to weekly mass!


From there we ventured to where my grandmother lived, but her London terrace house has long since been replaced by rows of flats. I probably have a photo of me sitting outside her old house somewhere too! It looks nothing like it does today.


After that we wandered back to the main road and on to Seven Sisters where I caught the train back and Joe walked home.

It was quite a trip back down memory lane and I was surprised by how much came flooding back. Things I hadn't thought about for over forty years suddenly popped back in my head, street names, old school friends, places that used to be but are no more! Such a lovely unplanned day.

In other news it was my second trip into London this week. On Thursday we ventured south of the river (when it also rained and we got very wet) to meet my new grandson. He arrived last week on what would usually be the last day of February, narrowly missing being a leap year baby. He is called Sokratis and weighed a very healthy 8 lb 3 oz and although I might be a little biased he really is gorgeous with a head of dark hair, just like his Dad!

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip. I have memories and family history woven into some of these places too. My great grandparents used to have a music shop on Stoke Newington High Street it is where one of my grandfathers grew up, I remember him taking us there when I was a child and showing me all the places that were part of his childhood. His parents and a brother are buried in that cemetery. A an old school friend had a house on Albion Road, it backed onto the shop that my grandparents owned. I had many trips to Clissold Park when I went to visit her!

    Congratulations on the safe arrival of your grandson x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely trip Gina. Memories are precious and rediscovering long forgotten ones is particularly wonderful. Also, isn't it wonderful to spend time with your adult children? I am starting to discover that now, slowly, as my oldest has moved out.

    Congratulations on becoming a granny again x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your day out with your son revisiting your old stamping ground must have evoked so many memories and will probably continue to do so. How lovely to meet your grandson - it is such a thrill, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly a few memories there! And yes it was 68/69 as we moved from Stoke Newington on Dad's Birthday, 27th August 1969.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the new grandchild. I'm glad you are still blogging. I just now need to do a bit of a catch up with your new FB page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A playground on the roof sounds alarming?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe what a lovely stroll down memory lane with your boy!!
    Congratulations on your new little boy too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the sound of that trip. Congratulations on the arrival of your new grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a wonderful trip with lots of fun places to visit. Congratulations on the arrival of new grandson too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely trip! Isn't it fascinating trying to piece together places that were once so familiar. And congratulations on your new little grandson - such wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.