Monday 23 July 2018

Thoughts on the Future

I have been participating in Cambridge Open Studios since 2005 only having missed two years. The number of visitors is always fairly consistent, never huge crowds with living in a village outside of Cambridge centre but always enough to make it worthwhile. There have been years when no-one has turned up for the first few hours and I have wondered if I have opened on the wrong weekend but it always evens out in the end. I mostly sell enough to make me feel good about what I'm making and to cover my costs (participating in Open Studios is not cheap). But this year felt like a disaster... where was everyone?


My visitor numbers were less than half the usual number overall and mostly consisted of people I already knew. with the exception of about three or four people. Everyone who came was a great support, even the man who opened with "Are you the cross stitch lady?" was enthusiastic when I explained how I work. I sold a few bits and pieces too but still it felt soul destroying. And although I would make and create things even if it wasn't my job I can't help feeling it is all a waste of time. I guess we all need validation for what we do.


The feeling has been compounded this week on finding out a course I thought I was teaching had been cancelled and no one had thought to tell me. Made me feel really valued let me tell you!


I'm sure these feelings will pass soon but right now I'm wondering how to get rid of the huge amount of stuff I have made and accumulated over the years, especially in light of the fact we hope to downsize in the not too distant future. I contemplated a skip... a yard sale... giving it away to passing strangers (except we don't really have many of those in the village) but in the end I thought I would do a little Etsy shop update starting with my latest mosaic makes. I did in fact sell a few of the mosaic pendants over the weekend but the rest have ended up in the shop. I'll decide how to deal with the rest of the stuff later!


I was also considering a drastic career change... Brain surgeon? Bus driver? Bar maid? But then an email popped into my inbox this evening with an offer that might... just might make things look a bit rosier in the future. But you'll have to wait to hear about that!

20 comments:

  1. They 'forgot' to tell you the course was cancelled? Cr@p how incompetent!!

    Do have any feedback from the other open studios? Were their numbers also down? A bad year due to the heat wave maybe??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to hear how the overall reaction to Open Studios has been although I sometimes find there is a reluctance to admit that things haven't been good!

      Delete
  2. I do know how you feel Gina, having given up on craft fairs for the same reason a few years ago.
    Your email sounds intriguing, glad you got some positive news . :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are various things to sort out before I can tell if it will go ahead but fingers crossed!

      Delete
  3. Last year I had the sort of experience of which you speak during our local open studios event. This past weekend I had a wonderful crowd and good sales. Who can say "why?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never predict it I'm glad you had a good crowd this weekend.

      Delete
  4. I am sorry your Open Weekend was not as much fun as you had hoped. I don't know the exact reasons of course but I have noticed a trend to "not bother" in many people. Such a shame for it is art, culture and care for each other that make a significant contribution to help people feel good, not just probiotic yogurt and Twitter. But maybe it is also the first pleasure to go when people worry about their futures? More likely though is that the heat keeps people inside? In any case, I am looking forward to your new adventure, I do love a little anticipation and eagerly await your next post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have often pondered why things are the way they are but I am not sure there is any straight answer. After my first weekend everyone suggested that it was the football that kept everyone away but visitor numbers were even lower this weekend. Still, onwards and upwards as they say...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh Gina, that is very sad news. I would love to be in the vicinity of an open studio event and your work always looks so wonderful. I hope you sell lots in your Etsy shop and I look forward to reading about your new adventure if it comes off. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. So demoralising after all the work and effort the open days entail. I love those mosaic pendants and hope the cliff-hanger you have left us with bears fruition. Not notifying you of a cancelled course is downright rude. I hope your recent disappointments wont have done too much damage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear your open studio event had such disappointing footfall. As you say, there are probably a number of possible reason for the lack of support. Most intrigued by the hint of change. Do tell more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can guarantee I'll tell as soon as it is confirmed!

      Delete
  9. Gina, if I am not too late to secure it can I please buy the all blue mosaic pendant. I has a little star in the central area. I have had a problem going through the required procedure with Etsy and it wont accept my password. Can I post you a cheque? I think I have your address. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can Heather. I'll send you an email x

      Delete
  10. So sorry that the open weekend wasn't well attended. We have an Art Trail here, and I've interviewed some of the participants in the past. The ones out of town in nearby villages have also found their visitor numbers fairly low at times, and I imagine the heat didn't help - getting in the car is a bit of a trial. Someone I spoke to who had exhibited in a shared venue in town had lots of visitors that year, but far fewer when she opened her home studio in a village. Some of the people on the Trail open their home studios, while others get together and share a venue between two or three people, which seems to improve on numbers. But I do understand how frustrating it must be. It is so hard to earn a living from creative work, it's something I hear time and time again. I am so glad you had some good news though, I shall look forward to hearing about it. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it helps to be both in town and part of a group but it has been particularly bad this year. I hate to say it but I do think the political climate is making people cautious. Felt a bit deflated yesterday but bouncing back today. Well maybe not bouncing in this heat!

      Delete
  11. I'm feeling a bit like that this week, due to the low bookings on our felting course and English Workshops. So many tell me what wonderful ideas, but they are not much use if people don't actually book on. Although in some ways I maybe glad of the low numbers due to the arrival of two cria (baby alpacas) with one requiring extra attention as Mum is not letting him feed and probably not producing enough anyway :( Heh ho! Looking forward to seeing where your future is heading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand your frustration Joanna. I have people tell me how they love my work and ask me when and where I will be teaching but then the enrolments don't seem to amount to anything. It does make planning so difficult.

      Delete
  12. I sold a few bits and pieces too but still it felt soul destroying.
    airport parking Luton

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.