Wednesday 25 July 2018

Sixty by Sixty

As I mentioned in a previous post, in between the excitement of the weddings I just happened to have another birthday. It came and it went, I was busy setting up for Open Studios all day and we celebrated in the evening with a fish and chip supper. The only thing of any real significance is that I am now 61 and so according to my own rules I am at the end of my sixty by sixty project.

Except I'm not really as I'm only up to number fifty five! But they have certainly been a lot of fun and introduced me to lots of new things, some I will definitely do again, some I will never do again and some that have opened up new opportunities. It was never meant to be a bucket list, although there is still a list of things I would like to do before it's too late (I've yet to see the Northern Lights for one), it was always more of a project to open my mind to new experiences started because I happened to mention in passing I had never been to a music festival. I've still not been to a music festival!


So it was always a project to try things I'd never tried before, visit places I had never been, achieve some long held ambitions and to do things that I may have never have thought of doing before. The only proviso was it had to be a new experience. It was no longer good enough to say "I would like to do that one day"... I intended to do it because life should be an adventure!

There have been some really exciting things like the indoor sky diving (I still think I might like to try the real thing), climbing over the O2 and maybe best of all, riding VERY fast on the back of a motorbike (Although I'm sure we weren't going THAT fast officer!)


One of my long held ambitions was to do the London Moonwalk, which was an amazing experience and there are already plans afoot to do it again next year with some friends.



Afternoon tea at The Ritz was another highlight that I loved but probably would never do again... unless of course someone feels like taking me.


Handling big birds of prey was another fun day out despite it being on what was probably the coldest day that year.


I also realised a long held ambition to start my own baking business which I did for two years. My first commissioned cake was this Guns'n'Roses cake


The last one was a twenty first birthday cake for a young doctor in training.


Much as I enjoyed it, I decided it was taking too much time away from my textiles and so reluctantly closed up my kitchen to the public last Christmas. However one of the other things I did over the 60 x 60 project was get involved with Free Cakes for Kids, a lovely charity that provides birthday cakes etc for children who would otherwise not have a cake. From my very first cake for Orla, I have gone on to make many more, some for children's centres, some for homeless charities and some for children undergoing cancer treatment... all of them a pleasure to make and something I will continue to do. The best thing is that without my 60 x 60 to spur me on I may never have got involved. The more I think about it, many of my 60 x 60 experiences involved cake!


I still don't know if the friend I nominated for an honour will be considered. It can take up to eighteen months to process and the only way you know is if it is successful... I'll keep an eye on the New Year honours list! There have been so many exciting and interesting experiences all I can say is do look down the list (in my sidebar) and give some a try! I can highly recommend Bletchley Park, Kew Gardens and Peterborough cathedral if you have never been.

And so to my last "experience" which was riding a zip wire... can you believe I have never done that before. We were meant to be taking our grandson to the park to play on the swings but I fear his Nanny-G may be a bad influence!


And as a result of the zip wire experience I was given a voucher to "Go Ape" for my birthday,  so I can't stop my project just because I turned 61 can I? I have been recording each experience in a scrapbook so will continue to fill it until I reach sixty things (my project, my rules!) and after that I will just carry on, trying new things, seeking out new experiences and going to new places, embracing and enjoying life to the full.

I don't think I want to call it 70 x 70... but maybe I should be really ambitious and name it 100 x 100. What do you think? Any ideas?

You can see all my 60 x 60 posts here.

28 comments:

  1. I think you should go for the 100x100 Gina. With your energy I reckon you could make it. I am far less adventurous but hesitate to say it is too late for me. I would just have to choose less strenuous activities - maybe afternoon tea at the Ritz - I could manage that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, it is never too late! The more adventurous activities may not be for you but once you start seeking out new things it is amazing how much you can do. Go for it!

      Delete
  2. Definitely go for 100 x 100. Although, knowing you, it will be more like 200 x 100! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have had some adventures Gina, I think the Free Cakes for Kids is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The free cakes think seems such an insignificant thing to do but some of the reactions have been wonderful from excited children to the mum who just hugged me and cried... we both cried!

      Delete
  4. You’re an inspiration! I’m galloping up on the big 5-oh and should do something similar, but I’m a scaredy-cat!
    Ing says she would like you to "make my next birthday cake, I’ll pay her and everything" - do they post?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep. 100x100 is a must. Go, Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could join me next year in Latvia :) Do you fancy felting with alpaca? :D Or just come and visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very tempting, although we're still watching the pennies so I can't really justify a jaunt just because I fancy it!

      Delete
    2. Bring an adventurous group on a crafty retreat :D

      Delete
  7. 100 X 100 definitely - just sorry I won't be around to read about the adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a good chance I won't be around until 100... but I like to aim big!

      Delete
  8. You really should go for the ton. you know you want to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 100 by 100 for sure and I look forward to reading all about it all. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm might still be up for riding motorbikes and zip wires when I'm 100 but do I really still want to be blogging in 29 years time!

      Delete
  10. I think you should definitely go for 100x100! It's been great reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feared it might make boring reading so that is reassuring. I'm off to Go Ape on Thursday!

      Delete
  11. We were in Buxton last week and visited Poole's Cavern which has a Go Ape centre attached to it. If I'd been braver I might have had a go - though probably not. Well done for all your adventures and achievements and here's to 100 at 100. If you start now you'll have plenty of time to fit them all in. Maybe save the gentler ones for the later years. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a sensible plan... but there's a certain appeal to being more and more outrageous the older I get!

      Delete
  12. Well now, knowing your energy levels I can imagine that you will go on until you drop! And, you will have enjoyed each and every single thing... xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure about the 100x100 but surely 70x70 IA doable. My 80 is up next year but I can't think of 80 new things I could do. Do love the idea of the cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of the fun is not knowing what things I might think up... or what new opportunities might present themselves!

      Delete
  14. This has inspired me to do my own Sixty By Sixty. I need to do some thinking. I don't know where to start but your posts have given me some ideas :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.