Friday 26 May 2017

The Mad Hatter

You know me from old... What do I do in probably the most stressful week I've had this year, the week when I am making my brother's three tiered wedding cake? I decide I need a hat to wear to the wedding of course, and if that wasn't last minute enough for me, I decide I need to make it too!


I armed myself with a glue gun, some cardboard and trims plus a £1 charity shop black skirt and set to work. I found a great youtube video (one of those occasions when you just love the internet!) and in no time at all I had the basics. But it needed more and required another outing to a well known hobby shop which was a welcome break from the endless icing sugar and fondant coating my kitchen. An hour and a half later I returned with glitter and feathers. Just what every girls needs (the burlesque dancing has obviously gone to my head!)


And ta-dah... I have a hat!


It is a themed wedding... Alice in Wonderland meets festival all in steam punk style. There will be a Mad Hatter's tea party and dress code is optional fancy dress.


I didn't want to go all out fancy dress but I am dressing up, with the queen of hearts lurking somewhere in the back of my mind. I actually finished my dress a couple of weeks ago (even I couldn't cope with last minute late night sewing). So my hat is a mini topper with sparkly hearts. I like to think it is subtle... but who am I to judge! I'm hoping once I've done my hair (and freshened up the colour with a lilac toner... I can't believe how quickly it has faded) and put on some slap it will look half decent!


I'll be back after tomorrow no doubt with more photos of the party and to show off my dress. And of course there will be the big reveal of the cake, which thankfully is also finished, with a whole day to spare... get me! Do you want a sneak preview...


There is steam punk edible lace and lilac roses... amongst other things.


Enjoy your weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! It's going to be such a wonderful day. Looking forward to seeing the cake in all it's glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and you enjoy your weekend too, sounds like its going to be fun!!
    Can't wait for the reveals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. with the lilac again hair - will be such fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see the whole outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such fun! I am still catching up...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.