Wednesday 26 April 2017

Spinning Plates

It's a phase and I'm sure it will pass as all things do, but I feel like I'm juggling balls and spinning plates at the moment... Ever so slightly out of control. Who am I kidding... Totally out of control!


Since giving up working at the bookshop, cake orders keep coming in which is wonderful. I loving working on each individual cake, each one so different. One minute it's a sophisticated red velvet cake for a thirtieth birthday and the next, an enormous cake plus several traybakes for a party for 300 people... all recorder enthusiasts. Who would have guessed there were that many! This one was ordered by my ex-husband... I resisted telling him it had only been laced with jam and buttercream. He would never have got the joke!


Meanwhile I am also now supplying a coffee shop with cakes and scones, which promises to be regular work, (good news) I'm making my brother's wedding cake next month as well as making myself a dress to wear to the wedding, (looking forward to doing both but not sure when I'll find the time), trying to organise my own birthday party (hoping it will be fun), attempting to keep things calm and peaceful at home (which is much easier said than done... it's complicated), grabbing odd minutes in the garden when I can so it doesn't have a second year of neglect (a losing battle)... all this as well as all the usual day to day stuff like shopping, cooking, cleaning etc. And I forgot... still training for the overnight marathon walk that is just over two weeks away. I have completely lost all incentive to go out and walk long distances at the moment and I'm wondering why on earth I wanted to do it in the first place... but I did make myself do seven miles this morning.


So you can probably appreciate why I feel like I am sinking right now and barely holding it all together. Meanwhile two little girls have just celebrated their first birthdays with these cakes and I've practising my icing skills... I think my boys had a swiss roll with a candle stuck in the top for their first birthdays!


And this weekend I'm wearing my other work hat as I'll be away teaching a class on machine embroidered landscapes.


Which might have been a relaxing weekend away except there has been a problem with the accomodation and I'm going to be driving back home on Saturday evening and back again on Sunday. Oh joy!


At least June is looking like a quieter month I hope... for the moment anyway.

19 comments:

  1. No change there then?! Good luck with it all, I shall be egging you on. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cakes are so beautiful, as are the machined landscapes. You may have to see to everything else but can't you let someone else organise your birthday party? Once again I feel tired just reading your blog! Good luck with it all and allow time to draw breath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Gina......here we go again!
    I need a lie down after reading all that!!
    Gorgeous cakes...but please look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you have regular orders for a coffee shop but I have no idea how you fit in all the things you do. I like all the cakes you have shown but I think the one with the roses on top is truly exquisite. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed and inspired and cheering you on. Those cakes are absolutely amazing. Glad you have regular orders from the coffee shop, that's good news. I hope the course goes well, a shame you have to do the drive in between. Look after yourself, CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the way you keep going when everyone else would have pretended they'd moved away. Your energy is infectious, I always feel energised after reading your posts. I do hope you find some time to breathe though, and admire all your achievements. Sending you my spare energy, just in case things get more complicated and you need some extra. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I can think to say is WOW,please don't fall in a heap and stop blogging. Not sure how you do it I am in awe, those lovely cakes, so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Gina, are you nuts? How do you do it all! Just love the cakes, especially as I am rather useless on the cake decorating front! As an embroiderer, I have fallen in love with your delightful landscapes. BUT I feel it is time for you to cherish yourself...just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine coping with so many spinning plates. Bookshop? I think I blinked and missed that FanMyFlame episode. I think the walk will feel like a welcome break xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful cakes, especially love the Beatrix Potter one. You are so busy as always, I hope that all is and will keep going well for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gina, cross June off the calendar and take no more bookings or orders till July! Tell people you are fully booked and take some time to chill.
    Good luck with all the endeavours however. Loving the machine embroidered landscapes and if I lived nearby I'd give you a bed for the night x

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'Spinning plates' sounds like a perfect description for your daily routine then ;) If you weren't busy though, what would you be doing? I've been busy (not like your busy!) for the past month, but when it stops for a day I can't focus on anything and I'm at a loss all day and feel like I wasted the day.

    Your cakes look amazing as always, and had to laugh when you describe the cake you made for your own family.

    I hope you enjoy at least a few minutes rest soon.

    Wendy xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, you certainly make gorgeous cakes in the middle of your drowning! And from one drowning victim to another ... I think you should be prepared for the possibility that June won't be much better LOL. It seems to be the change that we've landed in....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel exhausted just reading what you have been up to. So glad to hear you are getting regular orders, although not surprised as your cakes are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful array of delicious cakes! How on earth do you find the time for all that you do?!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you've survived the teaching weekend and got some enjoyment from it. There is a little word that could be used occasionally to stop the plates getting too wobbly. I've learned to use it myself, it's 'No' :-) Remember gardens benefit from a little random wildness, nature loves it. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Phew I feel exhausted just reading about all the things you manage to do! Such amazing cakes too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah, what it all makes sense - the spinning plates - of cake! Those cakes are absolutely magnificent, Gina.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.