Thursday 20 April 2017

Japanese Strawberry Shortcake

It's time again to join in with the Cake Slice Bakers where all participating bloggers bake from a choice of four cakes from World Class Cakes by Roger Pizey. There were some interesting cakes this month. I couldn't face making Lamingtons as it seemed such a time consuming process for something I didn't really fancy eating but the other three choices all sounded tempting... a Turkish Yoghurt cake, a pistachio and lemon cake and the one I opted for a Japanese Strawberry Shortcake.


This was basically a genoise sponge, sliced in half and then sandwiched together with a jellied Chantilly creme and strawberries. I ended up making twice the amount of filling specified in the recipe and I didn't use gelatine but substituted agar agar, a vegetarian alternative. I'm not sure it needed to be jellied however and I think that whipped cream would have held the shape.


It was a pretty cake that tasted light and delicious. The strawberries on top were dipped in a raspberry coulis but I'm not sure that was entirely necessary. I drizzled the extra coulis inside the cake with the strawberries and cream.


And although the recipe says it serves six, we found it made eight generous servings.


Which went down well with our dinner guests... well this little chap is not quite ready for eating cake yet but his Mum and Dad enjoyed it... and got to take the leftovers home!

 We were having quite a conversation about cake... I've got him all lined up for mixing and stirring when he gets older!

This is going to be the last time I join in with The Cake Slice Bakers as I'm finding it more and more difficult to find the time to fit it in and blog about it (hence no actual recipe from me this month) and sometimes things just have to give. But it has been fun. Do check out what the others have made:

   

   


20 comments:

  1. Those cakes all sound delicious and your Japanese strawberry shortcake makes a stunning dessert or teatime centre piece.
    That little fellow is adorable - what fun you will all have as he grows up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina! I do hope we will still have your company every now and then, instead of never! You have been an inspiration to me, and I value your baking tips and advised! I love that you used agar-agar in place of gelatin for this cake! Scrumptious, as usual, the results! And my oh my, that bundle of joy is getting more and more kawaii each posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily, that is so kind. The agar agar was really simple to use.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful cake! I am sad to hear you are leaving us, it has been fun baking with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina, my dear, I am going to miss baking with you but luckily will see your adventures over on Insta! Your cake looks utterly delicious and I am so glad it worked out for you. Always nice to go out with a bang! Hazel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cakes - look so tempting. I'm new to the group, so will miss getting to know you. Good luck with your activities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy baking with the Cake Slice Bakers Susan. It's a fun group.

      Delete
  6. Gina it has been a pleasure baking along with you - a hui hou. What a beautiful cake to go out with! I was so tempted by this one, and looking at yours, I wish I had made it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it Felice... it wasn't too difficult.

      Delete
  7. Wow that looks delicious Gina.....as does that gorgeous little man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cakes always look absolutely delicious Gina and I love strawberries so would definitely like a slice of this one. It will not be long before 'little one' is getting his hands in the mixing bowl and helping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm this cake does look delicious. I always feel better eating cake when there are fresh fruit in it.... I wonder what the Turkish yogurt cake is like. Turkish yogurt surpasses even the Greek variety I think. The little man is very cute. I can see him stirring your cake mix in a couple of years! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. An impressive rendition of this cake...very pretty and tasty too. Hope to bake with you again. Maybe in the fall if you are back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous - cake and baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that turned out beautiful! I love the idea of using Agar Agar I will have to try to get this bake in on my spare time! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both that amazing layered strawberry cake and adorable little boy look so delicious!

    I completely understand what you mean about not being able to find time for every thing these days! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, that cake looks absolutely sensational. Well done you, you've made a brilliant job of it. That cute little man will be in the kitchen helping out before you know it. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. That cake looks so good. I'm definitely going to have to give it go in a few weeks when we're overrun with strawberries. And that baby is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your cake, as always, looks delicious. (I know it's Japanese, but is it like a fraisier?) And your little 'un looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.