Tuesday 22 April 2014

Things always take longer than you think!

I had a plan for today.
It started well - an early morning swim followed by a Pilates class. Home for a quick breakfast whilst I checked and replied to emails and caught up with some blog reading.
Then it was turn the computer off and come into my studio to work.
 
 
The plan was to use this collaged fabric that I had made earlier and to turn it into another bag. A pleasant morning sewing, followed by lunch and then an afternoon spent doing my paperwork for this week.

 
Well that was the plan.... which started to go pear shaped as soon as I realised I needed to make some extra fabric for the collar of the bag. That took until lunch time.

 
I then realised I didn't have quite enough of the fabric that I wanted for the handle so spent a considerable amount of time searching my stash for something suitable.

 
I've yet to make one of these bags without doing something wrong... so I then had to do some unpicking so that I could put right the twisted handle!

 
I had to cover a button...

 
Take lots of photographs...

 
and then upload it all to my etsy shop... by which time it was almost 6 pm. So much for the paperwork!

 
So I then thought I might as well write a blog post to let everyone know  there is a new bag in my shop. Just half an hour... then I'll get dinner started...

 
That was well over an hour ago and already two of them have come in to ask when's dinner and Stewart has just announced he's going to have to resort to some "emergency toast" while he waits!
Of course, if you would like to make your own collaged fabric and possibly turn it into a bag... the tutorial and pattern is also available in my shop. And a huge thank you to everyone who has bought one so far!
 
I really had better go and make dinner now....

24 comments:

  1. Emergency toast - what's he like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's rarely such a thing as a quick task/job is there? The decorating of my lounge which was supposed to be a quick freshen up took about 3 weeks in total (long story, I'll blog about it soon!). Love the bag - glad you got there in the end :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are getting better every time. I've been putting bits of fabric to one side, I've just been over to Etsy and got the tutorial, and I now have all the time in the world. So, I wonder what excuse I'll have for not making it ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each bag seems better than the last - this one is stunning. Nice to know that you make mistakes like twisted handles too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some days are just like that Gina !!! Love the colours in this bag. :)
    At least it was emergency toast and not an emergency biscuit which is probably what my Hb would have had!
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to have an emergency biscuit when I can't wait for dinner but I usually try to make it a plain Rich Tea. A morning swim followed by a day sewing.....that's got to be preferable to paperwork despite the strap issues. Not started my bag yet, still thinking about fabric ideas as I don't have a lot of patterned fabrics but I may use some old linens. I really like all your flowery designs and of course, I have got some embroidered flowers made in a certain FME workshop that I could use ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you took so many photos :) The fabric collage makes this bag incredible! Really nice work there Gina. Love that covered button (I thought at first it was a ceramic button). I'm sure your household just took one look at that creation and said "Wow! I'm glad you finished it rather than getting our dinner!" I know my family is the same that way ;) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was worth the wait. I think the bag is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fabric collage that you created is phenomenal! I have never even seen anything like this before Job well done! But I totally understand your pain! NOTHING goes as quickly as we think, especially if you are very particular about your arts & crafts production. I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That bag is drop dead gorgeous - who cares if the plan did not work out - the end result was definitely worth it. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! Totally gorgeous and even though you had a few hiccoughs I bet you enjoyed every minute of making that wonderful bag. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous bag again. So much better for the soul than paperwork.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it frustating when things are not straight-forward? The bag is really lovely though so I think it was a successful day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, but it's a beauty of a bag!

    ReplyDelete
  15. well it may have been frustrating but the result was wonderful Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Let's face it creativity wins hands down over cooking the dinner and as for paperwork, yuk! ;-)
    I love the bag, the fabric is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's nothing better that that feeling of starting something and just losing the time as you create it. I bet the day just flew past and it's great to see those tutorials flying off the virtual shelf. Needless to say, I'm still at the procrastinating, thinking it through stage but I will get there. Love the sketchbook drawing in the last post too - even more satisfying than the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your bags are amazing. I haven't tried machine embroidery yet, but have added to my list of things to try! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your bags are amazing. I haven't tried machine embroidery yet, but have added to my list of things to try! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. beautiful bag Gina. Your work does take time and you need someone to make you dinner when you are having to do it overtime. Everyone can have emergency toast? perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  21. this one was worth waiting for dinner. For us, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another great bag!! Next time how about adding baked beans to the toast??? - they can't have fabulous meals every day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Omg! This is quite possibly the most beautiful bag I have ever seen! I must visit your Etsy shop and see what lurks! I'm certain this bag is gone! oh my. I am infatuated with it!!!!! I do hand embroidery and simply must make some of this type fabric! It is EXQUISITE!!!!!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.