Saturday 26 February 2011

Flower Power

I've had a brilliant day out today - just what was needed after the week we've had. I've spent the day at our Guild doing a workshop with artist Jill Flower, who makes the most amazing ruffs from recycled magazines and paper, just like the one below. You can see lots more of her work on her website http://www.jillflower.com/

We were working on something a little less ambitious than ruffs, but still using the same techniques of combining paper, beads, sequins and stitch to make a "Flower Brooch". The one below was my effort...

And the following are details of some of the brooches made by others in the class...




All unique and completely different but all made in the same way. I've got another one to finish off and I'm certain this is a technique I will return to... although for now there are too many ideas and too little time. If you get a chance, I can certainly recommend a workshop with Jill, who was lovely, friendly and a great teacher. It was a pleasure to be in the role of student rather than tutor for a change.

Tomorrow, it will be brooches of a different kind as I will be at Textiles in Focus in Cottenham, teaching two workshops making these little button babes.

Hope to see some of you there!

20 comments:

  1. I just love those button babies! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous corsages ... all different ... that's what I love!

    Happy weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blimey Gina - that was quick! I thought I'd done well unpacking my bags from today!
    I think you should become a life-coach and then I could be as productive and organised as you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful brooches! What a fun workshop, I'd have loved that - Jill's work is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the brooches. But the button babes are Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wish I could have been there....need a little pick me up...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a fabulous workshop. I hope you've had fun today too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That workshop would have been great. The broach you made is so pretty.

    Love the button babies.

    Also very pleased to know your son is safe. What a frightening time for so many and very tragic for the city of Christchurch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a super workshop - the brooches are fantastic. It's hard to believe they are made largely from paper. I do love your Button Babes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like a lot of fun with beautiful results as well! :)
    Hope all is well with Joe?
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh I saw her work at Art in Action and stood for ages fascinated by the detail. looks like there were some talented ladies in the class too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have got Jill coming to our Guild next month and doing a workshop. Looks exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're doing these brooches in June at our Guild and I CAN'T WAIT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just a thimbleful...

    That looks like a workshop for me! Great fun I should think. I was at Cottenham Friday and Saturday - what a wonderful meeting place it has become for stitchers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh what lovely items! So different too. Have only just caught up with your blog and have read your "update" with wide eyes. What lucky young men they were......

    ReplyDelete
  16. so pretty - and glad that it lifted your spirits after such a worrying time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, I am heading for the recycling bin as soon as I finish this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, now I'm laughing & blushing profusely at the same time & it's not just a hot flush! Honestly, your beautiful work belies your words. I shall come here more often.

    So glad your boy is safe - mine had been in the North Island for a few days, picking grapes & is now at the top of South island. During a panicked family phone call to us I sat at face book & actually found him on chat - how relieved were we. Must have been awful for you. He & friend thought of going to help which makes me proud but they are/ were inundated. We too thought he'd be avoiding the terrible floods & fires in Australia. We just need to hold tight & wait till they're home...until the next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I followed rachel to "the sight of morning" blog...thence here upon seeing you mention saving foil papers to use in embroidery ... I was totally intrigued...

    and now see these unusual works ...interesting and beautiful.. and even some little dollies.... lovely!

    I'm still having a great look around here in your blog....

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.