Thursday 11 November 2010

I'm Overwhelmed

by the generosity and kindness of my friends... blogging or otherwise. I have been given some amazing pieces of lace to use in my project, from precious tiny scraps to a whole wedding dress. There has been hand made bobbin lace, crochet lace and tatting. Lace that was bought from a gypsy and pieces made by grandmothers and aunts...

"My aunt Gladys crocheted it for me when I was about seven years old..." "She bought it because she just wanted to get rid of the gypsy" "I’ve had a bit of a turn out and in the bottom of a basket found this lace."

Lace that has been passed down through generations...

"This piece of lace belonged to my grandmother..." "They are from my Step Mother..." . "Someone somewhere loved it enough to keep it for years and I felt a connection. "
"...scraps of lace are from an underskirt belonging to late my mother in law..." "a piece of tatting made for a handkerchief probably by my paternal grandmother" "...from a box left to me by my Mum."

and some that has travelled from far away places such as Latvia, St. Helena, Austria and Canada...

"...hand made bobbin lace made by women from the island of St. Helena, where Napoleon was imprisoned and died"

Pieces of dresses, handkerchiefs, wedding bouquets and table linen...

"Please find snippets of lace that were in my bridal bouquet..." "... two small pieces from a large collection of linen, lace and embroideries cleared from my husband’s aunt’s house..."
"The dress lasted longer than the marriage!" "This is my mother’s wedding dress..."

And some that was made especially for me and this project...

"I have made you one tatted mini doily in ecru for your lace project..."

But it is the stories that are forming the backbone of my final project. You've told me stories that have made me smile and made me cry. Wonderful stories of generations of women, connected by fabrics, needle and thread. I don't have the words to thank you...

"...it is very precious. My mother died when I was a toddler so I never knew her..."
" She always wore lace in her neckline so that her cleavage was covered. "

I am now piecing together every single scrap, together with each story printed out in full. In my stitching I am also writing out each story so that it becomes embedded within my final textile.

These are then being distressed and dyed with tea to give an aged and uniform appearance to each piece. They are then going to be assembled to make a book. A book that will contain each story buried deep within it's pages.

Thank you everyone who has helped me with this. If you have sent lace but not heard back from me please do get in touch. And if you still have some you can send... I'm on a two week deadline! (So I may not be around much!)

28 comments:

  1. what a wonderful project.. cannot wait to see your finished book.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pieces both in the raw state and made up. And great stories. Good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Gina! I love the fact that the stories and laces will be together as one piece, part of each other and now inseparable. So the stories are stitched together as were the laces: one word (stitch)at a time, becoming a new piece but with all the elements of the old and the history. (I didn't say that as well as I'd hoped, but I think the idea is conveyed)Fantastic project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gina,

    I seem to recognise that first photo of bobbin lace......great to see that the project is progressing well and I think it's a superb idea making it into a book. Have fun...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Wow" doesn't really come close to describing it...I can't wait to see the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic reponse, although I am not surprised.......... like someone said to me "it is like one big sisterhood". Can't wait to see the finished book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an incredible project. Collecting memories is so important. I had hoped to have similar results for my memories of a dress project, but something about my project did not resonate with people and I didn't get many submissions. But I'm so happy that yours has achieved such fantastic results. And I cannot wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What stories those pieces of lace could tell, and what an amazing project this will be. I love your idea of including the stories in your book - they will add to it's impact and make it a very special piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMgosh Gina, beautiful pieces of lace and made all the more wonderful with the attached stories. can't wait to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Gina -- what an amazing project! It sounds like you have some wonderful friends in blogland -- I can't wait to see the finished book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning, just stunning.

    Check your post in a day or two - you've reminded me I promised you some. I hope it gets there in time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic project! I wish I had lace or the talent to make some, will just have to look at these lovely pictures and stories instead! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful, joyous idea - I criedtoo!

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a wonderful idea and it will be a lovely book. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to see the finished book and all the back up work that goes with it.I'm sure this is going to be a fantastic piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how amazing. And so moving. K x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still have some for you but have not made it to the post box yet!
    Soo sorry will sort out this weekend.xx
    P.S It's looking beautiful.x

    ReplyDelete
  18. can't wait to see the finsihed item. The sense of community is so strong in this project from where i'm sitting - so many contributions warm the ol' cockles !

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're weaving history and stories as much as lace. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful idea...looking forward to seeing its progession.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What absolutely gorgeous pieces if lace and beautiful stories as well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. what an amazing project and such beautiful lace.
    i did pop some in the post last week, i hope it gets to you ok.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful idea Gina..its going to be beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Gina, it's beautiful and the stories behind the lace make it truly special.

    I'm afraid I just didn't get round to rummaging for any lace but I'm pretty certain I don't have any of my Mum's lace. She made some beautiful tatting lace and I have no idea what happened to it.

    Good luck with finishing it :o)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. All those stories! It's just wonderful, can't wait to see the end result. Penny x

    ReplyDelete
  26. The pieces of lace are stunning. Sorry I haven't visited for ages ... my computer was very ill :o(

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.